3 replies to this topic

#1 allyeah

allyeah

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:24 PM

I have a 1986 Mini with a SU HS4 single carb. I'm completely new to carb engines, im asking for serious help. I'm having a hard time to keep it running. The fuel pump is working just fine. My question is where does my fuel line connect to from the pump? The first picture i uploaded shows the fuel line going to the top most connector and thats how it was when i picked the car up. The second picture is the fuel line up close. I'm not sure ifthis is correct or not but the car has trouble staying running. Fuel also comes out the other connector beside it sometimes and im not sure how the diagram for this setup is. I have a few manuals and it doesn't explain it.

Attached Files

#2 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:51 PM

One is the inlet, the other is an overflow - it sounds like the float needle is sticking or worn out. You need to go thru the carb and service it.

#3 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:43 PM

Yes, and please start with a new needle valve and float. They do wear out and are much cheaper than replacing a burnt out wreck.

The overflow line is normally plumbed to a rigid pipe mounted on the clutch housing which takes any spillage well away from the hot parts. Please fit one! Try the Somerford Mini web site for an illustrated parts catalogue which will show which bits are required. If the made-up part is obsolete, one can be fabricated from fuel pipe with mounting lugs soldered on, or use nice rubber-lined P clips to fix it.

#4 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

Also worth fitting a fuel filter in the petrol line.

A frequent cause of fuel overflowing from the carb float chamber is a small bit of rust or similar dirt preventing the float needle from fully sealing.

But when fitting a fuel filter be aware that cheap plastic ones have been known to fail when running fuel containing ethanol. If you're putting a filter close to the carb make sure it's a decent quality housing, not a brittle plastic one as you are close to a very hot exhaust manifold...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users