40 replies to this topic

#1 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

Building a proper garage from brick or block is going to be too costly considering we're thinking of moving within a couple of years. So for now I'm looking at getting a concrete sectional. The cheapest ones are generally about 8'6" wide but I think this will be too narrow for what I need it for, so just wondering what your thoughts are on minimum dimensions for a "comfortable" garage which I will be welding in and possibly spraying (cellulose of course), if I decide against sending them in to a body shop.

I'll probably store my tools and welder in there as well and may even treat myself to an air compressor.

#2 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

There's some amazing work done in single garages, a rotisserie and clever use of the space would be ok.

I have a mate with a triple garage but he's such a messy worker that you'd be better off working in my wide single than his!

Edited by CityEPete, 21 February 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#3 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

Lots can be achieved in small spaces if you put your mind to it.

But comfortable working space for a strip down and storage of parts as well as the rebuilding itself, id say at least a double garage, my personal preference would be for a triple garage so that things dont get cluttered, lost etc and to allow room for a decent workbench, shelving, tools etc.

My dream garage would be triple, room to park 1 complete car and room for work in progress on a second, ie enough room to work at it properly or room to detail polish a car. (i live and dream, one day maybe, for now the Mini has to share the single garage with kids bikes, deck chairs etc etc...)

#4 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

The dream would be a triple garage but I don't have triple garage space or money. Until the lottery win I'll have to be realistic :lol:

#5 acrowot

acrowot

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: manchester minis

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

i did one in a 16 by 10 garage wasent to bad had a shed to put parts in

#6 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

I've currently got the shed and conservatory full of morris minor bits, the boss says it's ok until the weather gets better!

#7 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:08 PM

Mines 15 foot x 8 foot. Not nearly big enough. My loft is full of mini bits as well

#8 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

The more space u have the more you need.

I started off in my garage at home 3mx6m

then I built another same 6x3,

I than used these as storage and moved my workshop to the new unit 10m x10m with tall ceilings and upstairs storage, this soon filled up with equipment like compressor lathes grinders piller drills parts washers more benches and extractors etc etc. oh and a 2 seater settee for when she f cks me off and i can go and have a few hours to myself.

I still have this for my messy work but my new unit it massive. 28mx22m with office and nice w/c x2

and this one has a sofa bed in the office/kitchen and a two seater sofa, I know quite like it when she f cks me off!!!!!

#9 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

It's the same with vans, I manage with a VW Caddy, if I had a Luton van I'd fill it up with stuff!

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:20 PM

However big it is it will never be quite big enough  :D .  Classic car restoration expands to fill whatever size workshop you have and then some.

#11 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

I think the moral of this thread is... Buy the biggest you can afford. And be prepared for it not to be big enough (I would start clearing out your loft now 😃)

#12 popeye_the_mini

popeye_the_mini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:09 AM

I have a sectional garage it measures 3.5m x 5.7m this is it with the mini in to be honest i wouldnt go any smaller width wise, if its just a mini in there and a few bits you could maybe get away with losing 1m of the length but thats about it really

34q35ac.jpg

#13 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:10 AM

The loft is to weak, so I've already filled the shed and the in-laws garage with parts :D

#14 Rob Gavin

Rob Gavin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:50 AM

build a decent sectional timber garage then you can dismantle and take it with you when you move. 

#15 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

i have worked on my minis for 18 years in my single garage , its a funny shape to .. but not huge

http://youtube.com/mattgreen16v

not going to say its easy .. but is possible , just need to bend yourself into funny shapes, i also was able to roll car onto its side ( did not use a spit ) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users