#16 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

We have a 36m² brick garage, then a 8x 15 sectional concrete garage for the parts... I can't move lol

#17 Zach P-D

Zach P-D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Bigger than mine... this is too small. 
WfmEIwv.jpg

#18 cool_stu

cool_stu

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

Ive got a prefab as i was in a similar positon to you, but i had a width restriction owing to it being by the side of the house, i went with an 8ft 6 (external) by 21ft long and that is good, but like most have said, another foot in the width would have been much better! 

#19 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

I'll measure up tomorrow, 10' and possibly 12' wide shouldn't be a problem. Just making sure it wasn't too narrow. In length I think 15' is about the max for the plot I can build it on.

I would love a proper workshop though, so that will be one of my criteria for when we're looking for a new house. :D

#20 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

its nice to be able to open both doors and still walk past

#21 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:35 PM

That would work for me if my doors where six inches wide :shy:

#22 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

I ordered a 14'6" x 16'3" garage in the end and am just waiting for planning.

I've just laid the base today, worst case is I don't get planning and have a nice hard standing with outdoor welding socket! :shifty:

Attached File  19780777_10158907300880024_5295747412314327615_o.jpg   80.44K   17 downloads

#23 jt19

jt19

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:56 PM

I've been thinking about buying my neighbours prefab garage which is next to mine. Then knocking them both down and building one proper block one with cavity. It would be lovely. Just need to find out if they'd sell first!! And how much lol.

#24 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

I looked into a block garage but it would have been in excess of 10k so thought better of it, since we may move in a few years. I would have gone that way though if we were definitely staying in our current house for a number of years.

#25 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Finally got a delivery date and will have it in just over 2 weeks time!!!

Now, I'm thinking about insulating it and lining it out to keep the condensation down more than anything and will also be installing a tubular heater. What are the best materials to use given that there'll be a lot of grinding and welding going on and I don't want to start a fire?

Edited by Mito, 25 January 2018 - 06:20 PM.

#26 Haygate

Haygate

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

We do a hell of a lot of barn conversions and use Celotex, its foil coated and although can burn we we unfortunately found out with the tower block fire I think it very unlikely with welding etc.
Its also a good idea to leave an air gap behind so maybe baton the walls out first.

#27 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

You can work in anything really, it's just the more space the more flexibility you have.

If you have the space to work all around the shell and to work on the subframes and engine on benches around as well then you can pick and choose what order you work on things depending on what you feel like or cashflow etc.

If you have a few feet either side of the car only you'll be stuck taking parts out and storing them, sorting the shell then putting that out of the way, sorting everything else then putting it all together. Works fine just less flexible.

#28 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

Definitely heat and insulation will help, but consider a dehumidifier as well unless you're keeping it warm all the time.

#29 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

Dehumidifiers are supposed to pay off as dry air takes less heating. I'm not sure insulation is always worthwhile, you've got to make the heat in the first place to keep it in, it really depends how long you'll be in there and how long it has to go cold before you're back in.

#30 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

Garage delivered yesterday and the mini is finally in it's new home.

Just electrics to put in (waiting for the electrician to arrange a date) and exterior brick cladding (brick slips) to put on and it will be all finished. I'm going to put off lining and insulating it for now as it would put too much of a dint in my mini budget.

Attached File  WP_20180210_13_26_18_Pro_NP.jpg   59.13K   5 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users