AndyR

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:19 PM

Hi all

I have a RHD mini that i converted to LHD, i didnt do it properly and just reused the RHD pedal box.  It works fine but the brake it dangerously close to the go pedal.  I was hoping to reshape the dog leg with the help of an acetylene torch and some bending irons.  The question now.

Does anybody know if the brake pedal has been hardened in any way? and will torching it anneal it and remove any strength that may have been made into it?

Thanks

Andy

PS. Trying to find a LHD brake pedal / box isnt easy and they are quiet dear! 

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:27 PM

You should be able to straighten it as you are thinking OK, just let it cool naturally. They are not 'hardened' or heat treated in any way.

However, by straightening it as you are thinking, will also make it longer, so it may foul the floor before you get full travel, best check this aspect before straightening.

#3 AndyR

AndyR

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

Cheers for the reply

I had thought of that as i was going to change the clutch too and that would have become shorter, but bought a LHD one as they are available.  I hadnt thought about it hitting the floor before full travel - will run a quick calculation before i get bending.

Thanks

Andy

#4 AndyR

AndyR

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Right, did some quick sums and went out to the garage to have a look.  By completely straightening it, which will give me the clearance i am after; it will lengthen the pedal by 5-6mm.  Currently the pedal travel stops on the steering rack "u" clamp nut, so after reshaping it will clear this, leaving in fact probably more travel.  But i guess the point is to not need/use full travel........

Thanks again for the heads up

Andy

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

It does matter if you have dual circuit brakes and loose a circuit. You could always reshape the end of the pedal and weld the pad back on, if necessary.

#6 AndyR

AndyR

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

I had 5mins at lunch today so had a go at staightenibg it out. Went very well, only seems to have extended the pedal length by 3mm. Will check in the car when I get home. I am running the single circuit system so won't have the issues you mention Ethel.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users