8 replies to this topic

#1 phylis

phylis

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:01 PM

HI, just bought my second mini, after a long a break of about 12 years, finally got the time and money to spend on one.  I have got a 1995 Sidewalk that is in need of quite a bit of work to it, a young lad had it so isnt standard any more.  The first question I have is regarding the steering, the car has been fitted with 7x13, will this explain why it is particularly heavy at very low speeds and I was wondering if  5x12s would be better.

I will have a lot of questions to ask.

Thanks

#2 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

Hi I am also in the manchester area, and also have mini sidewalk, please see my build thread link below, i would defo say 12' wheels are better, I had one mini with 13's and it drove terribly so i would get those 12's on.

#3 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

I'd go with 12s as well. I once drove a cooper with 13 inch wheels and it was horrible

#4 phylis

phylis

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

Hi I am also in the manchester area, and also have mini sidewalk, please see my build thread link below, i would defo say 12' wheels are better, I had one mini with 13's and it drove terribly so i would get those 12's on.

Hi had a look at your thread, looks good, I'm beginning to feel a little apprehensive about the amount of work that will need doing to mine, Need to get some awful aftermarket seats out, wheels changed then new front panels.  just discovered a load of water in the passenger foot well as well.  Where abouts in Manchester are you, are you in a club

#5 phylis

phylis

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

I'd go with 12s as well. I once drove a cooper with 13 inch wheels and it was horrible

Thanks, 12s it is then, where abouts in Manchester and can you recommend any cluds, complete novice to restoration and starting to feel very apprehensive

#6 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:45 PM

Thanks, 12s it is then, where abouts in Manchester and can you recommend any cluds, complete novice to restoration and starting to feel very apprehensive
I'm in Irlam. Not sure about clubs because I'm not in one, but I think Manchester Minis are still going.

I'm no expert haha. My minis been upside down for 7 months. And one thing, it will cost twice as much as you first thought. All good fun though

#7 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

Welcome, nice to see another local on the forum! :thumbsup:

#8 phylis

phylis

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Put a set of 12" x5, and drives like a different car

#9 babsbrown

babsbrown

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

What is the difference? Why does the extra inch in diameter make it drive worse. Is it because of the extra weight?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users