#31 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

Oh and let's not forget Brexit as BMW have announced that they are investigating plans to make the Electrical MINI production in Germany or in the Netherlands. I know that Oxford has a max volume capacity of 280,000 cars and they already build the 3 & 5 door models and clubman so their isn't much spare capacity. Meanwhile Nedcar build the convertible and 3 door along with Countryman models too. From memory they are a much larger plant, as they also build the G wagon for Mercedes. So they have spare capacity and vast experience / facilities to make more MINIs.
Let hope this doesn't spell the end for Oxford too.

Back in September (a couple of months after the Brexit referendum) Oxford City Council struck a £4.9m deal with BMW to expand the MINI plant in Cowley.
The car manufacturer, one of Oxfords biggest employers, wants to expand its production line into playing fields land off Roman Way.
The council agreed the deal that will see the German company make a one-off payment to the council.
http://www.oxfordmai...Cowley/?ref=mac

Ha! Funny that, they've been trying to buy that land for years!
Having worked there for many years I have a big soft spot the plant and really hope that MINI is continued to be built there for many more years to come

#32 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

Congratulations to anyone who voted out!

You are to blame..

I do think this will be the end of vauxhall too why would they keep it, it costs money to have a separate brand..

Your talking rubbish mate.....we are not even out yet....get over it,you where on the losing side

Attached File  image3.jpg   49.79K   3 downloads  ...."Oh never should vote for change"  ...Small minds blame BREXIT :D  :D

Tantrums tantrumsAttached File  MattFoley.gif   19.44K   1 downloads

#33 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

I do a lot of work on vauxhalls and like them I just hope they don't get influenced by Peugeot too much as I hate working on French crap lol

Now that sentence I like and agree :highfive:

#34 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

Good counterargument there. Well done

No need to. When you are there.

Humour as well. I am impressed

Not much to say. Been working developing cars and parts for GM since 1999.

I know what Brexit has done I know what the VW emissions has done.

And I can have a very good guess ar what will happen in two years of so.

What is interesting is there is no mention of Holden. Is that badge gone or will GM put it on their Chevys.

Last badged Holdens cease production later this year, Home built Aussie cars only made up to 13% Aussie Auto market.

Some bright spark is deffo going to blame BREXIT :D  :D for Holden demize. :ohno:

#35 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

You are to blame..

I do think this will be the end of vauxhall too why would they keep it, it costs money to have a separate brand..

Your talking rubbish mate.....we are not even out yet....get over it,you where on the losing side
image3.jpg  ...."Oh never should vote for change"  ...Small minds blame BREXIT :D  :D

Tantrums tantrums MattFoley.gif

There are no winners in politics just losers

The thing is we can never know if brexit was a good thing as there will be no comparison.. well apart from all the price increases we've already had..

#36 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

You are to blame..

image3.jpg  ...."Oh never should vote for change"  ...Small minds blame BREXIT :D  :D

The thing is we can never know if brexit was a good thing as there will be no comparison.. well apart from all the price increases we've already had..

You are to blame..

Don't care what you blame on brexit,the point being ....WE ARE NOT EVEN OUT OF EUROPE YET,(ARTICLE 50 not yet triggered) ...So everything that you and yours "stay inners,don't change/status quo" declare as Brexits fault,,,,is actually EUROPE'S fault because unhappily we are at the moment still under THEIR control.

In years to come we'll all be thinking Why didn't we get out of Europe sooner.

This country (UK) joined the EEC not to be a member of the EU...soon to be United States of Europe,it should last that long :D  :D

#37 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

If you ran a huge multi-national company like GM and one small part of it, like Opel/Vauxhall had made a loss every year since 1999 what would you do with it? You would sell it to the highest bidder. It looks like the bulk of the losses were generated by Opel so the UK's membership of the EU has nothing to do with it.

GM failed to build world cars and continued with regional models, unlike, say, VW, BMW, AUDI and Mercedes.

Vauxhall's losses are small as the Astra and the Luton built van range are, I believe, quite good in financial terms (i.e. they don't lose much).

#38 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

If you ran a huge multi-national company like GM and one small part of it, like Opel/Vauxhall had made a loss every year since 1999 what would you do with it? You would sell it to the highest bidder. It looks like the bulk of the losses were generated by Opel so the UK's membership of the EU has nothing to do with it.

GM failed to build world cars and continued with regional models, unlike, say, VW, BMW, AUDI and Mercedes.

Vauxhall's losses are small as the Astra and the Luton built van range are, I believe, quite good in financial terms (i.e. they don't lose much).

Totally agree. The biggest problem Ellesmere Port and Luton will face is the content of locally produced components. If you take Nissan as an example they currently source approx 80% of their components locally i.e. within the same currency. The Nissan Board in Japan realised if they wanted to have a financially successful manufacturing plant in the UK they would have to source the majority of components in the same currency they were manufacturing in, and as a result they laid out a long term plan to achieve this. When Renault became involved they maintained this strategy and enhanced it and the results speak for themselves. Nissan Locally sourced in the 1990's 21% in 2017 78%.

GM headed up by the Opel brand in Germany took a different approach. They knew they could not alter working practices in Germany and they also knew they had a very high cost base, therefore, they decided to drive the costs of manufacturing down and they successfully achieved this in the UK. The Vauxhall management rose to the challenge and with the fantastic co operation of the unions turned the two UK plants into the most efficient GM plants in Europe. This strategy enabled Opel to continue manufacturing components in mainland Europe. The nett effect was the cost savings made in the UK are subsidising the high cost base of the Opel component plants in the rest of Europe. In the 1990's the local content for Vauxhall was slightly over 30%, in an interview given by Vauxhall's MD Tim Tozer in late 2015 he confirmed the local content had dropped to just under 25%. This is still the same today. The autocratic approach taken by the GM Europe board has played a significant part in its demise.

The options for Ellesmere Port and Luton are quite simple, increase local content, or renegotiate supply agreements or close the plants down. It would be devastating if after all the hard work and restructuring the plants closed, they do not deserve it. The one thing is certain if they don't restructure the UK operation it will not survive because they cannot afford to continue to purchase overpriced components in Euro's when their competitors are sourcing locally in Sterling.

Since the late 1990's when GM started down the road on trying to dispose of GM Europe they have invested just enough to keep it afloat; relying on the goodwill and hard work of their European employees to achieve this. Its not been helped at all by the significant losses in the USA plants. On June 1st 2009 General Motors filed for Bankruptcy in New York, with $82 billion in assets and $173 billion in liabilities. It was the largest bankruptcy in history. The losses in Europe are a pittance in the context of this and as such are very real. The hardworking GM Europe staff have been let down by underinvestment from the US (they didn't and still don't have the money) and the dogmatic approach of the Opel board to not grasp the nettle and reduce mainland Europe costs in the same way the UK plants have.

Whatever people think of the marketing strategy and woeful model line up of Vauxhall, the UK manufacturing plants are up for the challenge, given a revamped model line up within a European PSA/Vauxhall/Opel model range they could make a very valuable contribution and because they are UK based they will be able to take advantage of being outside of the EU Customs Union and sell to the rest of the world at more favourable terms than the EU, but to achieve this, they will need to alter their business model and significantly increase local manufacturing content.

#39 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

Well explained and that explanation says a lot for UK suppliers.
Personally I think Vauxhall is more likely to continue than Opel since the bulk of the losses are made in Germany.

#40 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:35 PM

Personally I think Vauxhall is more likely to continue than Opel since the bulk of the losses are made in Germany.

That's the logical conclusion but when were French business leaders logical? :proud:

#41 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

LOL

#42 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

I was saying this long before the Brexit vote, if the shoe was on the other foot and you were in the eu with six factories and one needs to close due to output productivity would you not be annoyed if they kept two in the soon to be non eu UK and close one in France? I know I would.

#43 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

in light of the diesel gate scandal, VW announced that Audi will now incorporate VW floor plans and scrap their own.

Just shows how forward thinking VW are then as they have been sharing the passat/a4, GOLF/A3/OCTAVIA, Polo/A1/Fabia, and others for well over a decade now!

I love internet nonsense :)

#44 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

in light of the diesel gate scandal, VW announced that Audi will now incorporate VW floor plans and scrap their own.

Just shows how forward thinking VW are then as they have been sharing the passat/a4, GOLF/A3/OCTAVIA, Polo/A1/Fabia, and others for well over a decade now!

I love internet nonsense :)

What I find staggering is that that VW made profits last year of over 6 Billion even thought the Dieselgate issue cost them 5billion.... Just shows how big they are. And the want to form an alliance with Fiat

#45 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

GM also own our Local Holden Car plants here in Aust.

You are to blame..

Yes this is 100% caused by Brexit vote and what has happened since.

It was announced a few years back, well before Brexit, that our Holden factories would close. The decision for that was made in Detroit.

I seriously doubt Brexit would be the reason for any closures, though, it is possible it may have moved them over the tipping point - which they were headed to in any event.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users