#241 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

Only a slight update today.

I did get plenty done but have been so busy flitting between other things all day (helping remove an engine from an MGB and solving a leaking sunroof on an old K11 Micra) that I neglected to take many photos.

I prepped the new bonnet

CGp8QdS.jpg

SOZuV8D.jpg

And painted it

tHfAWsF.jpg

bX7wsva.jpg

Then I refitted the wheels to the Midget and put it on the floor for the first time

5zEPwZ4.jpg

EdkhfkX.jpg

fr2VSXX.jpg

The reason for this was so I could push it next door onto the MOT ramp for some fettling of the underside  O_O

Once on the ramp (which was a mission due to massive tow out on both front wheels) I fitted the prop shaft, finished fitting the handbrake cable to it's mount on the back of the tunnel, Fitted the electric fuel pump and plumbed that in and fitted the 3rd exhaust hanger.

Whilst up in the air, I set the front Toe so it rolls straight instead of limping like a drunk  :lol:

The undercarriage is now complete bar waxoil and tomorrow, the bonnet and bootlid will be fitted and i can concentrate on the interior.

Cheers

Ben

#242 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

More done today.

I started by flatting back the paint on the bonnet.

ANJWFTo.jpg

And then machine polished it with just the sponge for now. Ill fine polish it with the waffle pad when it's on the car

rCb9WO8.jpg

Then I fitted it to the car

c03CT3m.jpg

PezcRwe.jpg

Next up was the bootlid which I fitted to the car first before flatting it as it wouldn't stay put very well on the trestle

Bqvdnip.jpg

Next up, flatting

c03kXj3.jpg

Then polish and reassemble

y0Oz98c.jpg

It does need a lot more polishing but my machine polisher packed up before I could finish it and I can't pick up the replacement until Monday. :(

So instead, I carried on with the interior

aMjSnaU.jpg

Glf3wxk.jpg

ZYZZyK6.jpg

6nlRvxC.jpg

bxkJfWS.jpg

It's getting there

jfp2K43.jpg

#243 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

Paintwork is looking great and liking the new look black carpets and seats :D

#244 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

Hi Ben forgot to ask before but please can you take off those dodgy spot lights :ohno:

looking forward to seeing it with the roll bar on 

#245 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

Hi Ben forgot to ask before but please can you take off those dodgy spot lights :ohno:

looking forward to seeing it with the roll bar on 

I'm glad you said that.

Only thing is there will be 2 holes left behind in the bumper.

However, there is some small damage to the bumper anyway and new ones are cheap and easy to change should you decide to in the future.

Roll bar and interior will be in tomorrow and then Tuesday, the doors and roof will get painted.

There isn't much more after that.

Cheers

Ben

#246 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

I'm slightly annoyed. My memory card has corrupted so I could only save a couple of today's photos.

The first thing I did was finish the prep on the doors and get those into primer

V8DFtY6.jpg

H7HPWKT.jpg

UHoHZlu.jpg

And then whilst those were baking off, I fitted the roll cage.

It looks great but the photos have gone so ill re take them in the morning.

I also did some more of the trimming.

I have a photo of some of the carpet fitted and some trial fitted

uAZUWnE.jpg

I did take a photo of the finished fit but that too has gone.

I finished fitting up the bonnet installing the pin and rubber buffers as well as the prop bar

Yupkbrg.jpg

When the car came in, the bonnet could only be released by pulling a cable from under the front of the car but everything needed to make the internal release work was there so I re-installed that and got that all working correctly.

And I also removed the spot lights

haNxBe1.jpg

The rest of the day was spent on the seats.

They came with universal type runners which needed modifying slightly with spacers as once bolted to the seats, there wasn't enough clearance to lift the slide adjuster high enough to disengage the runner locks.

Once fitted to the seat, it was a case of marking out where the runners would need to bolt but this threw up another problem. The position of the new mounting holes in the floor clashed with the reinforcing channel which is spot welded to the underside of the floor.

I wasn't keen to modify that in any way so to make the runners fit the floor and the seat fit in the car without hitting the roll cage, handbrake lever and whilst still being able to move the seat back and forth, I positioned the seat at a very slight angle which not only makes it actually work, it is far more comfortable, fits within the roll cage and sits nice and in line with the inner sill and B post.

I did have to modify the runners by making up plates to shift one of the mounting points over by 40mm to avoid the channel underneath but it really worked out well.

I did have photos but they have all gone.

Luckily, I haven't refitted the seat yet so ill re-take them all tomorrow.

Cheers

Ben

#247 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

edit: The roll cage is just visible in one of the photos  :shades:

#248 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

So here are the photos I re took of the fitted cage and the modified seat runner that went missing yesterday

nwrIge6.jpg

ZCTGgBy.jpg

The passenger seat was then bolted in for the final time

hZYFaJg.jpg

x2UprRl.jpg

Next, I trimmed the drivers side of the car with carpet, vinyl and all of the associated cover boards. I was then able to screw down the throttle pedal to the floor.

I then re-did the whole process with the drivers seat including modifying the runner which is also now fitted

Gy73tnH.jpg

Unfortunately, the harnesses are unsuitable for the Midget so I will have to look into an alternative. I would say the best bet will be the type that secure to the roll cage behind the seat.

UU5XYaN.jpg

7ueYyB6.jpg

I then fitted a new seal to the bottom of the windscreen frame and had another go at fitting it to the car.

Apx5lOn.jpg

I have the side bolts fitted now and the rubber seal is in place as best I can get it. I decided to leave it over night which should cause the seal to form to the correct shape and then I can finish straightening out the rubber and fully bolt the screen down in the morning.

QusYAyj.jpg

Ill have to wait until I have fitted the doors before I can finalise the position as the rake will need adjusting to suit the fly screen window frames.

Cheers

Ben

#249 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

Hi Ben 

seats and roll bar look good. What's the problem with the harnesses?  :(

Darren

#250 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:13 PM

When do you think the midget will be ready?

#251 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

Hi Ben 

seats and roll bar look good. What's the problem with the harnesses?  :(

Darren

They are for saloon cars so the mounting point for the shoulder straps would be the centre lap belt points under the back seat.

I'm looking at options and ill be in touch when I have found something suitable.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Ben_O, 20 September 2017 - 06:55 AM.

#252 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

By the end of this week, I hope to have the doors on and fitted up, the roof painted and the interior finished completely.

There are some very small parts that I need to finish it but I am holding off ordering them until it is otherwise complete so that I can order anything else at the same time.

Essentially, it should be complete this week, then once it is running and driving, I can do things like adjusting brakes and setting up the steering and suspension and then an MOT.

Then it will need flatting and polishing.

I should be able to give you a completion date by the end of the week.

Cheers

Ben

#253 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

So I have finished the prep on the doors now.

This involved applying a guide coat and then block flatting the primer.

5xKbgcC.jpg

Once I was happy with it, I turned the doors over, flatted the primer on the frames and then applied sealer into the folded edge of the skin

n11ZEDv.jpg

Then it was into the booth for paint.

Here are the finished doors which will be fitted tomorrow

wGfk6nR.jpg

Unfortunately, overnight, the screen frame rubber had slipped off on one end after me leaving it to take the correct form of the scuttle so I had to remove the screen again to push the rubber back on.

Now it is ok and has almost formed correctly so I can now tighten the screen down in the morning.

lRB9Jl2.jpg

I then spent the afternoon repairing the hard top roof which was covered heavily in chips and other random scrapes and damage.

Once I was happy, I masked off the headliner with paper and primed it

AY5M5ti.jpg

7EbY2xW.jpg

This will be painted in the morning and then I believe that will be the last of the paintwork.

Cheers

Ben

#254 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

By the end of this week, I hope to have the doors on and fitted up, the roof painted and the interior finished completely.

There are some very small parts that I need to finish it but I am holding off ordering them until it is otherwise complete so that I can order anything else at the same time.

Essentially, it should be complete this week, then once it is running and driving, I can do things like adjusting brakes and setting up the steering and suspension and then an MOT.

Then it will need flatting and polishing.

I should be able to give you a completion date by the end of the week.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben

That'll be great

Thanks

Darren

#255 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

Hi Ben

The hard top looks great even in primer!

No idea that a screen rubber could be such a pain, must be made out o f the same stuff they use for shopping trolley wheels as they seem to have a mind of their own as well :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users