10 replies to this topic

#1 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Just wondering about paint finishes through the ages and more specifically in relation to Black paint.  

Modern cars in Black appear to look quite 'plasticy' yet Classic cars in black can still have a deep shine.

So how would you finish a classic car to avoid that modern paint finish?

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

Depending on how thick the clear coat is, wet sanding brings an amazing mirror finish. Although I would leave something like that to the pros! As a less harsh method, id get someone to orbital polish the car properly then deal with a good wax.

#3 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

Hopefully not too off topic - what black are people using that paint their roofs black?

#4 germini30

germini30

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

My mini is two pack direct gloss. after wet sanding and cutting then polishing it looks great.

Attached Files

#5 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

I use RAL 9001 to paint black roofs, it's really a 'black black'.

Hopefully not too off topic - what black are people using that paint their roofs black?

Edited by Dusky, 11 March 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#6 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Anyway, back on topic, does anyone know what I mean about modern car oaint finishes looking plasticky?

#7 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:51 PM

Yes, I think we do know, those (probably most) of us who are observant and actually care about such things anyway. But seeing doesn't necessarily help us to understand why. I am under the impression that it is due to the way the paint is applied. Members of this forum who do paintwork at home will spend ages sanding and flatting between coats and even after the final coat. I don't see how that would be viable in mass production. I assume that the process used is quicker and cheaper and that has something to do with the plastic look.

And, many brand new cars show severe signs of orange peel, which us amateurs would regard as a defect.

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

A lot is down to how quickly car manufacturers put their shells through the paint process on the production line. It's a balance between slowing down the line or having a slightly worse paint job. It ends with a slight orange peel effect like tiger99 mentions. I wet sand most of mine and my families cars as it makes a real difference to selling them later. Plus it looks miles better!!

Edited by Steve220, 12 March 2017 - 09:09 AM.

#9 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

New cars are painted in acrylic paint where as older cars tend to be in cellulose of 2 pack

#10 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

New cars are painted in Water based paint with 2k Laquer, before that 2k and before that cellulose and before that enamel.

#11 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Acrylic was very much in fashion in the 1960s. All Vauxhall Vivas for instance. Haven't seen or heard of it lately, and don't really want to. I can't see how it was better than cellulose. Maybe quicker to apply or easier to dip?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users