4 replies to this topic

#1 Norm

Norm

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

When I got the Mpi, it had an aftermarket radio (Pioneer) with Fli speakers on the shelf. The other day, I swapped the head unit for an Alpine one that I have had stored for some time. This morning, the sound quality went awful, then the music went off altogether. Head unit was still on but now I was getting alternator whine through the speakers. Had a fiddle when I got in from work and the radio came back on, but the problem keeps happening. Decline in sound quality/volume, then it crackles and goes off. 

Is this possible a bad Earth somewhere?

To be honest, I am considering sourcing and fitting an original radio to hopefully get rid of these problems. :) 

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Can you play anything else through it i.e. mp3, it may be the aerial lead and by playing something else through it you'll rule that out. Check its got a really good earth.

#3 Norm

Norm

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

Can you play anything else through it i.e. mp3, it may be the aerial lead and by playing something else through it you'll rule that out. Check its got a really good earth.

Yeah I can play CD/iPod also. Problems are the same regardless of source. 

#4 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Is it on a multi plug or separate connectors. If its a multi plug make sure all the contacts are tight, if they're separate check each one and work your way back through the loom. Did it do it with the previous unit? Getting an alternator whine suggests it could be an earth problem.

#5 Norm

Norm

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

Is it on a multi plug or separate connectors. If its a multi plug make sure all the contacts are tight, if they're separate check each one and work your way back through the loom. Did it do it with the previous unit? Getting an alternator whine suggests it could be an earth problem.

Thanks or the suggestions. I think you would call it a multi plug? Well, two plugs actually. I will remove the head unit again when I get chance and check all the connections. It's really frustrating though. Old cars, huh? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users