Photo
- - - - -

My New Mini, British Open Classic. Ongoing Road Project!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

I bought this mini last year as my GT needed some work so I decided to do a proper job on it so it will be getting fully rebuilt but it's more then likely gonna be a long project so I wanted to get back into a mini.

I've known about this mini for years as a guy from work knows the guy who rebuilt it and he would always tell me about it and the work that was done to it. Unfortunately it sat on his drive for years and years after he rebuilt it because he fitted a supercharger kit to it but couldn't get it running properly, so it 's starting to show signs of being sat outside for so long. There are places on the bodywork that's started to bubble and some of the stuff he's done to it really hasn't been done to a high standard but I paid £2000 for a supercharged mini that passed it's mot once I removed the supercharger and took a couple of shims out of the bottom ball joints.

When I got it and after I washed it

4YOpsTR.jpg

Engine bay

J3jEupb.jpg

Removing the supercharger, I want to change to the podifold manifold then refit at a later date but the supercharger will end up on my GT so I'm gonna build the engine with forced induction in mind so I don't need to use a plate between head/block. Using head, carb and exhaust off my GT and replaced head studs. Have also fitted hi torque starter for peace of mind.

0zEmo0n.jpg

Fitted my bucket seat, quickshift, black carpet and wooden steering wheel. Want to recover the dash in a wood vaneer then stain wheel and gearknob the same colour.

v0OiODO.jpg

Day it passed it's mot, van repair panel cable tied to body lol.

LRrJ4ik.jpg

New wheels as I don't like starmags and the front tyres on the starmags are all chewed up because the guy never cut the wings.

stxudur.jpg

And this is where I'm at now, test fitting my carbon fibre bumpers and arches. Have trial fitted a cf bonnet in gel coat and I'm waiting on a cf mustache and headlight rings coming from america.

9FOVe4M.jpg

Two big jobs I need to do is replace the main oil seal and sort the sunroof out.

Edited by Lt-SilverDragon, 14 March 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#2 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Nice project.Ilike the van front panel,it should stay!

#3 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

Yeah I kind of feel the same, I liked the van panel but for some reason and I don't know why I decided to splurge and get a mk1 grill and mustache.

Quick question for anyone reading this, I've bought LED indicator lamps and the resistors needed for them to work but how do I wire them up. Is it supposed to be done in series?

#4 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

Painted the inner headlight ring as it was scabby and don't have a replacement, will probably do a proper job and spray it black as I'm waiting on CF headlight rings coming but quite like the green.

WnD9hba.jpg

Started fitting parts to the front end.

CTOFU4F.jpg

A6aovez.jpg

Edited by Lt-SilverDragon, 15 March 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#5 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

Finally had a chance to work on the mini today, managed to get the clutch cover off and ready to pull the flywheel but can't find a bit I need for the puller so if I can't find it tomorrow I'll buy a new one. Was hoping to get the puller on and left over night to try and get it off but we'll see if I can get it off tomorrow.

Since I got stuck with the flywheel removal I decided to do a couple of things that needed doing like fitting bonnet clips and front splitter.

APwGixO.jpg

i4pSWdD.jpg

#6 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

And now we wait

vLZbNCF.jpg

Edited by Lt-SilverDragon, 10 May 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#7 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

Looking like a really good buy. Just a tip with the flywheel puller lubricate the centre thread, it helps the force you apply being directed onto releasing the flywheel from it's tapper rather than the thread binding up. Then I usually lap the flywheel back onto the tapper with a bit of fine grinding paste to aid removal next time. Make sure you clean it all off before re-assembly though. Good luck with it

#8 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

I've read about lapping the flywheel, I'll need to read up on how to do it. Flywheel is still on, I'm back at work tomorrow so I can leave it on and hopefully it will pop off over those few days. Could only get a spanner in so I used a bit of exhaust pipe to help me get it tight but if it doesn't I think I'll get shorter bolts so I can get attach a lever bar to it. The centre bolt looks like it could be replaced as well.

Trying to tidy the wiring a wee bit the now and just wondering what this wire is for, it's connected together and just seems to be a loop without a purpose. It is for an accessory that my mini doesn't have?

9aNtryR.jpg

#9 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

Hope the flywheel pops off! Took a 4ft breaker bar and my entire weight turning it for mine to pop off.

#10 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

I went to my local nut and bolt place and got a new centre bolt and the three securing bolts. All 20mm shorter then what I had and this was enough to slip on a socket then slide the lever bar onto the socket. I will tighten it a bit more if it isn't off by the time I get home from work tomorrow. Didn't fancy the flywheel flying off and hitting my hand so I chickened out doing it any tighter.

I was well out when I originally fitted the moustache so I've redone that and sprayed bonnet with a can of halfords paint, ran out but that's ok because I'll need to respray the whole front end once I've everything fitted as I'll need to weld up the holes from the sportspack arches and theres a wee bitof bubbling on wings.

PhfgMQR.jpg
UKoYyw5.jpg

#11 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Got bored, had a go at wrinkle finishing my old rusty chrome bumper.

RLHaYoW.jpg
bjZUehq.jpg

Think it looks pretty good, shame I've already spent money on cf bits. Live and learn lol.

#12 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

Nice looking car. Love the colour but Oh my that splitter look's awful to me! sort of like a bad goatee.............

#13 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

Well I like the splitter haha, obvisiously won't be on show as much once the mini isn't raised up and number plae is back on.

YJilJqn.jpg
Ksq9dJo.jpg

With a mighty great twang it's off, half expected to see my socket or something in two.

#14 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

Well I've just messed up :( trying to get oil seal out I tried to lever it out with a piece of metal, it snapped and now there's no sign of it and I can only assume it's slid into the engine. Got seal out just by using a screwdriver so I've just boned myself for no reason.

Not sure what to do now.

EDIT: got it, just needed to remove the other casing.

Edited by Lt-SilverDragon, 17 May 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#15 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

Nice looking car. Love the colour but Oh my that splitter look's awful to me! sort of like a bad goatee.............

Got to agree, the splitter is certainly a marmite fixture, still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Rest of the project looks really good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users