Photo
- - - - -

My New Mini, British Open Classic. Ongoing Road Project!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

I'm not so sure - teamed up with a massive whaletail spoiler on the back I think it could look very classy!   :D  

#17 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Didn't think a lil ol splitter would elicit such a response haha, I do like the bobtail spoilers but I'm not touching the rear.

As far as progress goes, since I removed the bit the clutch cover bolts to, so I could get to my screw up I need to replace the gasket so ordered one and now got to wait for that to show up so I worked on wiring and installed rivnuts into the front panels where the head lamp bowls bolt to the body because I hate the way the bowls are usually bolted to the body.

IJdqAYC.jpg
DMbe0Gj.jpg

Also ordered hammer and dolly set to recreate the lip on the front wing after cutting it for the wheels.

#18 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

Didn't think a lil ol splitter would elicit such a response haha, I do like the bobtail spoilers but I'm not touching the rear.

I'm sure you know it's just a little harmless fun on our part, you go for it. As long as you're happy who cares.

#19 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

Aye mate, all my cars are done to my liking and the mini will look good once it's done how I like it even if it's only me that thinks like that  :lol:

Think that's bad you should see my other project  haha

ihRjHiJ.jpg

#20 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

Ok I'm dumb, ordered new performance clutch from mini spares (C-AHT594) as I figured the old clutch would be contaminated by oil but the new clutch doesn't have clutch springs?

5jVIllP.jpg

http://minispares.co...lassic/C-aht594

Do I need a different pressure plate or or something else to work, thought you needed the springs to push the clutch off the flywheel.

#21 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

Ok I'm dumb, ordered new performance clutch from mini spares (C-AHT594) as I figured the old clutch would be contaminated by oil but the new clutch doesn't have clutch springs?

5jVIllP.jpg

http://minispares.co...lassic/C-aht594

Do I need a different pressure plate or or something else to work, thought you needed the springs to push the clutch off the flywheel.

The springs on the plate soften the take up of drive in a road car. You don't need them in a performance plate because they're a source of weakness.

#22 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

Cheers, that's brill. The old clutch is basicaly brand new but I'm considering refitting the supercharger that came with the mini once everything else is sorted so figured I might as well upgrade.

#23 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

I'm waiting on parts to finish off what I'm doing to engine so decided to have a go at fitting the electric windows kit I bought. After removing the glass I realised it had rusty metal inbedded into it so I looked through my spares and found some glass which was a little better, considering getting new glass in the future but this stuff will have to do the now.

I bought stainless window channels to stop the issue with the usual window channel rust but it's a long one piece bit instead of two individual bits like usual. I've already trimmed the bracket the wheels slide along to make a bit of room but this is how farI can get window before it hits the motor.

KiwgXYF.jpg

qOv4oES.jpg

I think I'm ok with the glass not coming all the way down because the only other option I can think of would be to cut the window channel into two. I'm in two minds at the minute. If I don't cut it I've got the find a way to stop the channel hitting the motor everytime the window goes down.

Ignore what I just said, I thought cutting the channel might give enough clearence but glass hits the motor without the channel on. Need to check I'm doing everything correctly.

Spaced the motor out a bit, seems to have done the trick.

Edited by Lt-SilverDragon, 22 May 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#24 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,887 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

The only difference between the feel of the OE and the performance clutch is it will feel slightly more grabby on the uplift of the pedal.

#25 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

cvMK4Ht.jpg
4hJxKCB.jpg

Mostly back together, I bought an aldon amethyst kit for my A series 1275gt but because that won't be on the road for a long while I decided to fit the kit to this mini instead, except that the dizzy drives are different. I was tempted to try and move bits from the old dizzy to make it work but I really could not be bothered with the hassle so I got on the phone to aldon and ordered a new dizzy. No idea how much it was so seeing that on my credit card statement will be interesting but atleast I can use the rest of the kit and when it comes to rebuilding the gt I'll decide which way I'm going with the ignition.

Ordered up a wood veneer sheet to cover the dashboard in then I'll need to figure out the best way to make the steering wheel, dash and gearknob all the same colour and hard wearing.

EDIT: Couple of questions, the previous owner fitted an electric fuel pump in the boot and a fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay. However he never mounted the FPR, it was just on top of some rags. I don't have space in the engine bay for it, I think it would be ok to mount the FPR in the boot right after the fuel pump? I don't think there's a filter before the fuel pump so I was going to install one before pump, relocate the FPR into the boot. The fuel pump is also run from the fusebox, I've installed an aux fusebox the now and have ran the wire from that but was also gonna install a relay to run from batt to fuel pump and use the wire that is currently powering the pump to switch the relay. Going to install a cutoff switch inline between batt and fuel pump so if there is a crash/rollover the fuel pump with automatically switch off so my other question is can anyone recommend a cutoff switch that's easy to get a hold of and fit?

Edited by Lt-SilverDragon, 25 May 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#26 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:08 PM

To aldon's credit I received my dizzy in the post today which I was not expecting. So installed, set it up as best I could without engine running and crank her over and absolutely no signs of life. Went through all the checks again made sure the wiring was right etc and still wouldn't even hint at firing, pull a plug put the spark was weak as anything. Looked at my old dizzy cap and realised what the issue was.

VuUxJTg.jpg

So used the old cap and boom straight away it fired, need to get it running properly but I was just wanting to see if it would run and it does.

The guy that rebuilt it before me fillered all the joins on the front panel so where the wings meet the scuttle and where the front panel joins the wings. The front hasn't cracked so I'm leaving that but the ones at the wings had so I scraped the filler out. Wire wheeled the metal, painted it with epoxy primer and have put a wee bit of filler into it which I'm still in the process of sanding down.

Ybds19c.jpg

#27 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

I rather like the splitter, its different :thumbsup:

Am enjoying reading your posts, thanks for sharing!

What is the other project? That's a lot of ventilation it has!

#28 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

Cheers, I'm trying my hardest to work on it on my days off as much as I can so I'm actually making progress but it's going a lot slower then I'd hoped. Was wanting it to be back on the road by now but I keep finding things I'm not happy with and making more work for myself. The engine is running now and so far no signs of oil leaks from the engine and the clutch is working, so I'm happy with that. The brakes will need to be bled but my main priority the next time I'm off is trying to fit my miglia arches, take doors off so I can drill holes for the wiring for the electric windows and do the dash how I want it.

It's just a mg zs diesel, I stupidly put an offer on some 180 wings on ebay and ended up buying the whole 180 kit off the guy for actually not a bad price. It needs some rust sorting out on the underside, the bumpers need fixed or replaced and the kit will need gluing on. We've only got room on the drive for two cars so I need the MG sorted so I can bring my 1275gt over and do the welding on that but with the way things are going it might be next year before I even start any work on it.

#29 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

Cheers, I'm trying my hardest to work on it on my days off as much as I can so I'm actually making progress but it's going a lot slower then I'd hoped. Was wanting it to be back on the road by now but I keep finding things I'm not happy with and making more work for myself.

Sounds like the story of my life haha

I prefer to spend my evenings and weekends de-rusting, sanding, cleaning and painting old parts rather than buying a cheap new one! O_O​ i must be mad - or tight!

I now have a new motto ​- any progress is good progress!

:D

#30 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

It's a right pin in the bum, this really wasn't supposed to be a project mini more of a tart up and keep on top of things mini. The weather has been amazing and I want to be out in the mini with the sunroff open enjoying it. The next couple of days I'm gonna do all the bits that needs doing to make it road worthy again like put brake fluid in the system, put the lights back on etc so I can have a few days driving it about.

I love getting new parts for the mini, shane they don't stay nice and shiny for long.

Not done anything to mini last few days because of work but leds showed up today and I couldn't wait to try something.

gVwfBqo.jpg
VWK3cTq.jpg

Was also tempted to try and find heated elements to stick to the back of the glass but for the amount of time the mini will be used in freezing temperatures I dscided it wasn't worth the work. I think it looks pretty good actually, I'll silicon in the led holders then spray the mirrors green to match the car. Well that was a trial mirror, I'll prolly use the mirrors that are on the car then repaint them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users