Photo
- - - - -

Front Calipers- Clean Or Replace?

Best Answer tiger99 , 24 March 2017 - 11:56 PM

If it is rounded, the special sockets referred to above will still work, as they grip by cutting a crude, very coarse thread into the outside of the nut. Not much use on a left hand threaded nut... (I suppose the more upmarket manufacturers may do a reversed variant for those).

http://www.screwfix....CFWUT0wodeSkK4w

There are better sets, but these are very likely to be good enough and certainly excellent value.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Sovereign01

Sovereign01

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

To get my '89 Mini through its MOT the guy who runs the local garage recommended I replace the front calipers (and rear cylinders- one seized, the other leaks) due to one binding slightly (increased wear on the corresponding pad revealed which). My question is:

• Would dismantling the calipers, cleaning them and replacing the seals (bought minispares kits) have the same result as buying new calipers and pistons?

• If it turns out replacing is the only option, do new calipers come with pistons? Minispares doesn't say so I assume that means they're sold separately.

• Minspares offer their own brand as well as a 'genuine' version of the same part. Since the genuine parts are twice the price of the own brand, are they twice as good? The only difference I can see between the two is that they're different colours.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: forgot to say, the existing calipers & pistons are original to the car as fas as I'm aware.

Edited by Sovereign01, 15 March 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

calipers com complete ready to fit.

it depends on what you find when you strip them down.

#3 mpialan

mpialan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

As above, it depends what you find when you strip the calipers down and your budget.

If the cylinder bores and pistons are in good condition, refurbishing is the cheaper option if you are doing it yourself. If you are paying the local garage to do the work the time involved stripping down the calipers and rebuilding with new seals may outweigh the cost of new.

The important thing to remember though is that it is never worth trying to cut costs with such a safety critical item as brakes.

If it were me, new calipers up front, new cylinders on the rear.

#4 Sovereign01

Sovereign01

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

As above, it depends what you find when you strip the calipers down and your budget.

If the cylinder bores and pistons are in good condition, refurbishing is the cheaper option if you are doing it yourself. If you are paying the local garage to do the work the time involved stripping down the calipers and rebuilding with new seals may outweigh the cost of new.

The important thing to remember though is that it is never worth trying to cut costs with such a safety critical item as brakes.

If it were me, new calipers up front, new cylinders on the rear.

You're right, the local garage did indeed say that the costs of them rebuilding the calipers would exceed the cost of (own) brand new ones. I guess it really does come down to what state the originals are in- interestingly the Haynes manual claims there's no need to separate the two halves when performing maintenance, surely that cannot be true?

#5 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

I'm just getting ready to tackle refurbing my calipers and from all the research I've done, I've found out that you don't actually need to split the calipers to do the job but it's easier if you do. If you do split them though you should replace the inner seal that connects the 2 halves of the unit. You should also replace the caliper bolts with bolts that are the correct tensile strength. Apparently getting the wiper seal in is a bit of a PITA so you should get a couple of spare seal kits because you will likely damage 1 or 2 trying. I'm actually looking forward to doing mine how, how sad is my life :(

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

There was a thread on stripping down / splitting the callipers recently;-

http://www.theminifo...tting-calipers/

Weigh up the cost of overhauling them vs replacing them.

If you overhaul them, there is Stainless Steel Pistons available to use in place of the Chrome Plated ones. Rarely can the Chrome ones be reused, the Chrome flakes and then rusts badly, and it flakes as Chrome plating itself is not moisture proof.

#7 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

interestingly the Haynes manual claims there's no need to separate the two halves when performing maintenance, surely that cannot be true?

If the calipers are clean inside and the only reason for rebuilding is because the pistons have corroded then there's no need to split them. I've done a few calipers of different types (cars and bikes) and never had the need to open them up.

I've got a spare set of Metro 4-pots that definitely would need to be split as when I popped the pistons out they were full of crud but the set I have on the car were spotless.

#8 Sovereign01

Sovereign01

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

Thanks, looks like I need to get in there to determine the state of the inside- I just wish I'd known about the bolts since I would have ordered them along with the seal kits.

I know exactly what you mean about chrome, it's what my bumpers are made of and to remove the rust spots that form around stone chips required the use of a Brillo Pad! :lol:

Edited by Sovereign01, 15 March 2017 - 10:41 PM.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:44 PM

Best way to get the Pistons out is to hold the inner one in place and use hydraulic or air pressure to pop ypthe ooter piston out. Then you can press the inner out via the hose connection hole.

Changing seeks etc is not hard with the Caliper off the car with out splitting the Caliper.

#10 Sovereign01

Sovereign01

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I just have one issue left before I get to work-

The rear cylinders that I've found on Minispares here:

http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop

State that they were used from 1959 to '67, and this one:

From '74-'76

Given that my mini is an '89 model I'm unsure if these cylinders will fit my car or not.

EDIT- Found these:

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

http://www.minispare...rakes.aspx|Back to shop

For some reason they were listed under the general brake section instead of the wheel cylinders subsection.

Edited by Sovereign01, 16 March 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#11 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:29 PM

Please do not use non-genuine calipers, seals or any other brake parts. If you have the slightest doubt about their condition, people like Big Redd will recondition them properly.

#12 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

Please do not use non-genuine calipers, seals or any other brake parts. If you have the slightest doubt about their condition, people like Big Redd will recondition them properly.

Tiger99 are you saying people shouldn't buy minispares calipers or wheel cylinders as they are "non-genuine" - this seems to be what you are implying..after a direct post after a question about minispares parts...

Please clarify

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 17 March 2017 - 10:41 PM.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:17 AM

I am 99.99999999999999999999% sure the 'non AP' Calipers from Mini Spares are manufactured under the same roof as those marked AP.

Edited by Moke Spider, 18 March 2017 - 03:18 AM.

#14 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

I am 99.99999999999999999999% sure the 'non AP' Calipers from Mini Spares are manufactured under the same roof as those marked AP.

99.9999999999% of statistics are over exaggerated.....

#15 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:59 PM

I am saying that seals and calipers are safety critical and it is a very bad idea to buy any safety critical parts unless you know exactly where they came from. There may be legal ramifications...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users