Photo

How Do I Fit A New Alternator Belt?

Best Answer Steve220 , 15 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

you can still access it with the radiator in.

Make sure you have the belt on all the pulley's accept the alternator and ensure the tensioner is wound all the way out, then force it bit by bit over its pulley.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JamesMiniMealor

JamesMiniMealor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Local Club: Flintshire Mini Owner's Club

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

Ok, I have struggled with almost every step of replacing this water pump (except actually removing and replacing it).

I'm almost done. I just can't get the alternator auxiliary belt thing back on. Any tips?

Sorry for all the noob questions. I do try. It's taken me a week to do this ha

#2 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

When you refer to getting the belt back on, is it in position over the pump and crank pulleys and you're struggling to get it onto the alternator pulley, or have you put the radiator and fan back on before trying to install the belt?

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:57 PM   Best Answer

you can still access it with the radiator in.

Make sure you have the belt on all the pulley's accept the alternator and ensure the tensioner is wound all the way out, then force it bit by bit over its pulley.

#4 JamesMiniMealor

JamesMiniMealor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Local Club: Flintshire Mini Owner's Club

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

Pulley was not all the way down >.< it went stiff 2/3 the way down so stopped turning the square bolt. Doh

#5 Deeppockets

Deeppockets

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

I have just refitted the poly-v belt on my MPI. Not the easiest of tasks and for a while I was questioning whether it was the correct belt - though it was the one I took off! The tensioner pulley was fully slackened.

Looping the belt over the crank and water pump I could not get it over the alternator. Tried removing the alternator upper bolt but this did not help much.

My solution was to loosen the water pump pulley bolts to get some wiggle on the pulley and initially loop the belt over the crank and alternator only. This allowed for the belt to be deflected over the water pump pulley (rather than pulled over the alternator pulley). Re-tighted water pump pully bolts, though in hind-sight it may not have been necessary to loosen these.

The adjuster worked ok for me, I have put a little copper grease on the thread as an anti-seize measure. I used a long 1/2" extension bar reversed to reach up to the square head, with grips on the male end.

by the way I sourced a new INA EOM pulley from Amazon for ~£5 a couple of weeks ago, though I noticed that these are listed now at ~£17.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users