23 replies to this topic

#1 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

Looking for their coil Spring conversion but can't find them anywhere online?

#2 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Their site is down and the domain sold .

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

We think they no longer exist, so they can't sell anyone their useless coil spring conversion (see other thread currently running about how useless coil springs are).

#4 fishey798

fishey798

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Rebels

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Last time i dealt with them a guy called Steve Sheldon was the UK distributor and his email address is [email protected].
Phone number 07702 138381

This was the end of 2011 so not sure if this information is still any good?

#5 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

It is always good when another supplier of junk and tat bites the dust! The Mini community are better without them and their useless, bordering on dangerous, products. I have to wonder if it was product liability insurance that killed them. The same problem may well finish off quite a few suppliers, including those who sell unsafe wheel bearings etc.

#6 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

How many topics have there been recently about the coil springs for the Mini and the less than desirable results that occur when fitting them!?

To the original poster, have a quick search on the forums and have a read at what the general consensus is with regarding to fitting them in place of the original rubber suspension.  It'll save you some money plus you'll have a better handling car and ride if you follow the advise given.

To give you a bit of an idea, I'm running springs and I'm going to put mine back to rubber suspension.

#7 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

bet one the mini companys have bought them out as did not a  china man own it at first and set it up, the likes of Huddersfield or mini sports / spares to make a greater prodit as there garage is still there last time I went.

Love springs cant fault them, better than red dot crap you have to keep replacing as I bet its different rubber to keep cost down more profit

#8 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

It is always good when another supplier of junk and tat bites the dust! The Mini community are better without them and their useless, bordering on dangerous, products. I have to wonder if it was product liability insurance that killed them. The same problem may well finish off quite a few suppliers, including those who sell unsafe wheel bearings etc.

Have you ever seen those springs in real life?
How many minitastic springs have you ever heard/ seen breaking?

#9 limby2000

limby2000

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

Just a note to the op, Huddersfield mini,s still sell there kit, they list as made from Sheffield steel. I have the Minitastic kit on my car 4 years no problem, but my old donuts were knackered when i got my car. Lovely ride (fast road springs).

#10 Keeef

Keeef

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

Been running Minitastic fast-road springs on my (3) toys since 2004. Definitely an improvement on ride and handling.
ALWAYS use with the machined trumpets as standard cast ally ones will not last long...
Last bought a set April 2016 from Steve (Details as above post). He's a helpful guy.

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

It is always hard to understand how anyone can believe coil springs can be as good as the original design of rubber rising-rate cone springs for road use.

With raised suspension they might, just might, with very accurate and ultra-high-quality manufacture approach the rubber cone springs, but they can never be better for reasons explained on here many, many times.

For a pure racing application it is entirely different, but one doesn't drive a full-on racing car on the public roads.

Edited by Cooperman, 12 June 2017 - 09:58 PM.

#12 Keeef

Keeef

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

Each to their own... Just my personal preference same as why I run uprated shox.
I've driven both and have no particular complaint with either. Have had experience of hydralastic too... not the best option for me but others are fine with it
My worst experience was driving 'dead' rubber which had absolutely no spring capacity remaining!
Adjustable ride height is great for trips, I've been to all but one IMM since 2004 (missed Latvia), to counteract weight of luggage and spares.
I have adjustable Gaz shox on my 16v'er but, out of the available range of adjustment, only the softest 5 clicks are useful so my advice is: they're not good value.
Nothing wrong with suspension tweaks. My experience is it's better to have predictable handling over more power, great to have both... but reliability is king! :-D

#13 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

Dusky, I never noticed earlier, or I would have replied sooner. Did I mention the springs actually breaking? No, but I did correctly identify them as junk and tat. There are safety issues which do not involve the springs themselves fracturing.

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

I'm still waiting for some-one to explain how a coil spring can be an improvement on the variable rising rate rubber cone springs. I've been waiting years for the engineering explanation, but so far all I've seen is owners saying they 'like them'. OK, but, in engineering terms, how and why are they better?

#15 Xinarin13

Xinarin13

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

Have you ever seen those springs in real life?
How many minitastic springs have you ever heard/ seen breaking?

Mine Broke 2 days ago...

40j3uMX.jpg

v2biCzw.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users