#16 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

When the modern family car is in for MoT they dont test the rear seat belts with child seats in, which seems crazy, but they make a note of it on the sheet. 

#17 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

When the modern family car is in for MoT they dont test the rear seat belts with child seats in, which seems crazy, but they make a note of it on the sheet. 

If child seat is fitted the tester can give the seat a check to see how secure it is, but note that it is fitted

#18 psychobob

psychobob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

My local garage gives 2 weeks for a free retest if you take it away? I suppose it depends which garage you go to. And it's still only £50 for the test!

#19 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

Which is about 15-20 more than many places.

#20 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

£54.85 is the official fee. I'm happy to pay it if it means a fair test and not a means of generating other paid jobs.

#21 babsbrown

babsbrown

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

Not for reverse lights, they are not tested at all.

correct

#22 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

A while back i took mine to a VOSA place run by the council, they failed it on a rear number plate bulb and charged the standard fee, with no interest in looking for anything to generate any work. I did smash a hole clean in the front of the gearbox on the way back from said place, but thats a different story..!

#23 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

£54.85 is the official fee. I'm happy to pay it if it means a fair test and not a means of generating other paid jobs.

I've seen places charging £29 but I've no idea what they are like, my classic friendly place charges me £35 and never trys to make themselves work, they've always got too much on fixing modern cars!

#24 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Local Club: 42nd Street (back in day)

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:40 PM

I'm in brum and used the garage for previous Mot at £30. They used to sell classic cars on site,but different owner of the sales,hence why I started going there.
Original Mot guy is away until this week on hols,and earliest they could setup carb/emissions is Thursday this week.That's when he came out with the "you do the minor work due to might scratch the paint",but I think it was a ploy to recharge the part retest fee or because they could not fit me in until Thursday or no space to store my car securely until then.

Could not give me a price on carb setup due to boss being on hols,whereas on last carb setup done here and timing was a flat £30. Now its leave it with us and we will charge accordingly on time taken plus vat.
I asked if the £15 part retest would be knocked off and all I got was " we will see what we can do"..They will probably add it onto the carb setup bill know doubt.
For the minor fail parts it only took me half hour max to sort out,and the led side bulbs are a much improvement over standard hardly there yellow light,and there is no blue tint imo just modern tech white light as I have the same bulbs in my dash lights and I'm not a fan of any blue tint in light bulbs on the front of car.

#25 carneil3

carneil3

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

Buy yourself an emissions tester. Thats what i ended up doing and it saves alot of issues and headaches getting the mix right.

You are all lucky you do not have to get it MOT'd here in N.Ireland, Government run, with all the latest tech for shaking the shadazzles out of the car and bouncing it all over the place, twisting the front end every shape all with the electronic equipment run by computers before poking below to find issues. Then they hand the car back to you and in my case, with a fail even though a complete front end, rear end, floor, brakes etc etc engine overhaul,  due to slightly over the emissions and a head light to low???? Replies on questioning is, it is what the computer says????

You come away with parts hanging off which was not there before!!!!!

I do not understand why the older generation cars has to go through such a vigorous check especially when the car is older that the guys performing the MOT???? Certainly an inspection but come on!!!!!

#26 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Local Club: 42nd Street (back in day)

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

That would be some hassle in n.Ireland then.
In Jersey it's totally opposite where you do not need an Mot or tax for that matter.
Max speed limit only 40 there though if I recall correctly.
Tbf to the garage he did let my narrow arches through on a advisory as the tyres poke out beyond them.

#27 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

I do my work myself, adjusting headlights etc is all done free, then its retested

#28 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

If it's over 40 years old do you need an MOT and Tax in NI? Don't you have the same rules as England?

#29 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

It's only pre 1960 cars that dodge the MOT here, not 40 years.

#30 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

But if the reversing lights are LED you can be pulled up by Plod as the Motor Vehicle Lighting Regulations specify the reversing light in terms of a 24 watt bulb, not in terms of lumens of light. Stupid, but that is how it is. It is the only light on the car with that stupid legal problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users