28 replies to this topic

#1 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

I have removed my sunroof because it leaked and I didn't like the look of it, not I am left with a hole.

Is it possible to take a section from another roof a weld it into the hole? with a series of very careful and slow seam welds, or will it just warp?

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

I think you may cause quite a bit of distortion, but there is a Frost product that you could use to prevent heat runs so minimise the possible distortion. It may be worth a try as if it does distort badly you could cut it back out and either have a new roof skin fitted or I believe that you can get a fibre glass/ carbon fibre roof skin that is bonded on.

#3 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

I think you may cause quite a bit of distortion, but there is a Frost product that you could use to prevent heat runs so minimise the possible distortion. It may be worth a try as if it does distort badly you could cut it back out and either have a new roof skin fitted or I believe that you can get a fibre glass/ carbon fibre roof skin that is bonded on.

Is this the stuff http://www.frost.co....14oz-414ml.html ?

#4 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

Could joggle the roof around the hole then bond a new piece of metal into place. Not sure how well that would work tho.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

Even with Frosts Cold Front you will get some distortion. 

As to joggling and then bonding in place, the only issue i could see with that is the skim of filler needed to finish off. If that keeps cracking then on a hiding to nothing.

Other options are bonding a CF or FG roof over the top. The problem with that is the CF roofs do not fit all the way down to the gutter with the old roof in place. So it would need cutting out leaving a 3" piece all round. The other downside then would be needing a roll cage to add in some strength.

#6 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

It is possible. When i scrapped a mini 10 years ago someone in my club took the roof section to do this. Not sure what or how they did it but it looked fine in the end.

#7 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

I have a fibreglass roof on top of the old at the moment and it really doesn't sit right, also I'm sure the paint around the edge will crack. I don't really want to chop out the whole roof and fit a cage.

So joggling is putting a step in round the edge of the hole so the new part sits flush? Some tack welds to hold it in place, seam sealer and then a skim of filler? 

#8 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Thought about putting a larger sunroof in it, like a webasto (spelling?) ?

by the way you dont need a cage for composite roofs...

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

I have a fibreglass roof on top of the old at the moment and it really doesn't sit right, also I'm sure the paint around the edge will crack. I don't really want to chop out the whole roof and fit a cage.

So joggling is putting a step in round the edge of the hole so the new part sits flush? Some tack welds to hold it in place, seam sealer and then a skim of filler? 

It would need quite a few tack welds as well as a decent adhesive to hold it in place. It has to be completely stable otherwise the filler will crack.

#10 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

or plug welds, like this ?

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

or plug welds, like this ?

The joggler is fine for the joggles but the hole punch will only punch 5/32 holes. I would open them up to 3/16th at a minimum to get a decent weld.

#12 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

I'm sure i've seen it done as described with a scrap roof section that has been joddled in.

The infill piece would have to come from exactly the position of the crap roof as the sunroof is on your roof.

#13 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

Thank you for the help everyone, I think we will give joggling a go. Will let you know how it turns out 

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

Thank you for the help everyone, I think we will give joggling a go. Will let you know how it turns out 

Take your time with it and get the joggle as level as possible. 

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

One time when I rolled my 'S' I fitted a new roof panel in one day. Just cut the old rof off with an air chisel, clean back, leaving the original roof flange in place, then weld a new roof panel in place onto the original roof panel flange. The flange ends up very slightly thicker, but it makes it a 'proper' job and there can be no problem with distortion. By the time you b****r about trying to joggle a filler piece, weld it in with a continuous fillet weld, grind back and then have to use filler, followed by a lot of high-build primer and sanding back to the correct profile, you might as well just put a new roof panel on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users