7 replies to this topic

#1 Greenwise

Greenwise

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

Hi, ive got a 93 classic mini 1275 with 3 clock dash. the rev counter reads twice what the car is actually reving at i.e at 4000rpm  the engine is actually only reving at 2000rpm. A friend as told me that he believes its because ive got the wrong clocks fitted. car has 3 cream set of clocks which are apparently mpi clocks and they should be smiths clocks.  this is why they are reading wrong.

does anyone know what size rev counter I need to fit ?   i.e 80mm, 100mm etc

Ive read that I need smiths clocks really

will all the other clocks/gauges be reading correctly ??

any help welcomed

regards

greenwise

#2 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

My friend has the same issue. He has mpi clocks in his clubman estate and it reads double.

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

The mpi uses a wasted spark ignition, hence why the rev counter reads double when wired up to a single coil/pints ignition. You can't change or fix the rev counter so it read correctly. So the only option is to swap the dials for the earlier Smiths or Nippon 3 clock set ups that do work and read correctly for the coil/points ignition systems.

#4 Greenwise

Greenwise

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

My friend has the same issue. He has mpi clocks in his clubman estate and it reads double.

ive found this adjustment tutorial, yet to try but read people saying that it works.  doesn't look to much like hard work ;)

regards

Greenwise

Attached Files

#5 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: Solihull Mini Classic Club

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Hi, ive got a 93 classic mini 1275 with 3 clock dash. the rev counter reads twice what the car is actually reving at i.e at 4000rpm  the engine is actually only reving at 2000rpm. A friend as told me that he believes its because ive got the wrong clocks fitted. car has 3 cream set of clocks which are apparently mpi clocks and they should be smiths clocks.  this is why they are reading wrong.

any help welcomed

regards

greenwise

If your interested, I may be willing to swap, I currently have a three clock Nippon setup in my car.

Matt

#6 Greenwise

Greenwise

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

any help welcomed

regards

greenwise

If your interested, I may be willing to swap, I currently have a three clock Nippon setup in my car.

Matt

That might be a solution matt ?!? I'm out at the mo, will message you later mate

#7 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: Solihull Mini Classic Club

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

any help welcomed

regards

greenwise

Matt

That might be a solution matt ?!? I'm out at the mo, will message you later mate

Of course :)

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,931 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:06 AM

ive found this adjustment tutorial, yet to try but read people saying that it works.  doesn't look to much like hard work ;)

regards

Greenwise

Great guide.

The only thing I would add, is there maybe a simpler way of calibrating it, certainly more accurate.

If one could get a hold of a 6 to 9 Volt AC Transformer or Power Supply, this could be used as a 'Pulse Source' for calibrating the Tacho with. It must have an AC output, DC will not work.

If this AC Power Source is connected up between the Points Connection and Earth (of the Tacho) it will read;-

In countries where the city power is 50 Hz   1500 RPM, and

In countries where the city power is 60 Hz   1800 RPM

A common source of such a power supply is some of the appliance Plug Packs are AC, you'll need to carefully read the label. They can also be bought new quite cheaply. eg;-

http://uk.farnell.co...-67a/dp/2368012

I would not recommend using a Plug Pack that has an output over 9 Volts, though, you should be able to get away with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users