4 replies to this topic

#1 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

As the title says really, has anybody got the distance between the 2 points, I want to adjust the rear camber by filling the outer plate, if one of you fine people can tell me the distance a simple calc will give me the info I need, mine are still on the car at the moment so a sod to measure.

Shooter

#2 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

If I recall correctly from when I had to source a reamer it was about 8.5 inches. Whilst I appreciate a bit of trigonometry will give you an angular change for a linear change at the outer end, so may be better off measuring the actual camber on the wheels so you know your starting point if not already done so.

Edited by Swift_General, 21 March 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#3 1968andyf

1968andyf

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Vizard gives a measurement in his book for every 1 degree more negative the outer hole (bracket) moves up 170 thou witch is 4.3mm so to go from 1 degree positive to 1 degree negative is 340 thou or 8.6mm

#4 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

And note that if you measure the toe in degrees instead of mm, it changes by the same amount as you move the hole backwards or forwards, so you can correct toe at the same time. Remember that it must be toed in, which is moving the hole in the camber bracket forwards, if there isn't any.

It is probably worthwhile to get your local tyre dealer to do a full geometry check before you start. Then you can calculate the change from what you have to what you want and only do it once. The printout they give you will have various things on it that are not usually adjusted. Thrust angle seems to be a measure of crabbing and you would correct that by either shimming the subframe heelboard mounts or adjusting both toes in opposite directions by the same amount. You will not be able to change anything except camber, castor and toe at the front, but several other items on the printout should at least be consistent between sides.

A full geometry check is not all that expensive and tells you a lot. I use STS Tyre Pro for my non-Mini daily driver. They should be able to measure a Mini although probably are only equipped to set front toe on that.

#5 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

Thanks all for the info, the car will be set up on a hawk, so all should be good.

Shooter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users