#1 Mk1cooper

Mk1cooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Local Club: San Diego Minis

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:28 AM

i'm trying to verify a Mk1 and the Heritage certificate build date says: August 27, 1963 and his seat belt mounts is the one located at the very top. i'm just concerned that this is a Heritage certificate that doesn't match the car.

The slam panel is already gone and replaced so no body serial number either which makes me suspect how did this guy manage to get a Heritage cer without the body id number. maybe i don't know much but i'd like to get educated about spotting a real cooper from an 850 dressed like a cooper.

Edited by Mk1cooper, 24 March 2017 - 05:29 AM.

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:50 AM

I am not sure of exact change date but the seat belt mountings on my September 1962 are high on the b post. The heritage cert is applied with the chassis number so don't take it as supporting evidence,
Main thing with an early mk1 cooper is how good is the gear lever hole and how well patched is the hole left from the magic wand lever, the boot board brackets should be riveted although that is easily done,
Pics may help to identify it for you

#3 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

I would have thought that an August 1963 built car would have the lower top seat belt mountings.

Does your shell have the FE number on the inner above the radiator cowling? It can be accurately dated from that.

#4 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

There was no serial number on the scuttle panel, that came much later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users