#1 yousmeg

yousmeg

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet...

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

Hi there. I havent posted here in years but mainly because I haven't been working on the car.

It's a 1978 clubman 1100

I've owned it 8yrs and rebuilt the engine 2yrs ago. It ran off jump leads, albeit the mixture wasnt perfect.

Since then I've rebuilt the starter motor (I know this works perfectly from a bench test) and the carb, and fitted electronic ignition.

I am fairly sure the carb is alright, and I have a spark on all four cylinders. The timing was done by eye but not set with a timing lamp. I am sure it is not 180 degrees out because the tappets on cylinder one are loose at TDC.

The HT leads are definitely in the right order! Checked a thousand times by me haha!

My fuel tank was dry when I started trying to start the motor. I've filled it with fresh petrol but the pump isn't pulling it through. I've filled the float chamber in the carb but it made no difference.

I've poured petrol down the air intake (no air filter fitted) and got a big bang and a flame fly out the bottom of the manifold as there is no clamp between this and the exhaust.

I am really stuck as to why it won't start. I have fuel and a spark and the timing is relatively right.

After many conversations in the pub with all the locals, I am no better off !

I'm really hoping there is something silly I've missed - any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks - James

#2 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:48 PM

What cylinder are you calling number 1? Also is the dizzy pointing to 1 o'clock with 1 at tdc?

Edited by blacktulip, 24 March 2017 - 11:50 PM.

#3 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:33 AM

Don't expect it to run properly with the exhaust clamp missing. The reflected pressure pulses from such a short passage as the manifold may be sufficient to prevent it from starting if it is a bit off tune. You need to fix that before the next attempt or a serious fire is likely. You need to go at it in logical order, getting the fuel pump working first, setting the timing accurately, and adjusting the mixture to approximately correct. Trying with several things known to be wrong is somewhat pointless.

The pub is the worst possible place to get advice on technical matters.

#4 yousmeg

yousmeg

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

Blacktulip, it is pointing to around 2 o clock as i read most places this is correct. I'll wind it back a bit.

And tiger99, I'll try and find my exhaust clamp. I know i have at least three knocking around. And good shout about the pub (not that it will stop me going any less 😂 )

Thank you both

#5 yousmeg

yousmeg

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Oh and cylinder number one closest the rad. I've fitted the exhaust clamp - going to have a go at the dizzy next

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users