6 replies to this topic

#1 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

right stupid question time here, mini cooper spi 1995 model, on the ECU under the dash, there is a large plug that plugs in to the unit and there is a wire that had a white/clear plastic coat that comes out of the ecu , what is this wire for? I said it was a stupid question. but I cant remember where or what is was connected too.

Thanks in advance

#2 edkirk30

edkirk30

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

ignore my comment, didn't read the dash part

Edited by edkirk30, 27 March 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

5AS unit? If it's plain white it's the 12v ignition feed if I remember correctly.

#4 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

5AS unit? If it's plain white it's the 12v ignition feed if I remember correctly.

It's a 3AS unit, the wire is not connected to anything at the moment and the car seems to run ok well apart from thing highlighted in recent posts. I only noticed today as I was trying to tidy the loom up under the dash.  do you know where its supposed to be wired into the ignition? cheers

#5 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

I am beginning to think that the immobiliser must have been bypassed, hence the wire in question is not connected, the car hasn't got an alarm fitted nor do I have any key fob, it was however  fitted with a cobra unit  along with the 3AS, I never did fathom how to re plumb it all back in together and after many failed attempts just fitted the 3AS unit, anyway I guess I shouldn't worry as it seems to work ok.

#6 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

Is it the aerial ? 3AS wasn't a great success - hence the change to 5AS. If it's working - I would be tempted to leave alone.

FS

#7 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

Is it the aerial ? 3AS wasn't a great success - hence the change to 5AS. If it's working - I would be tempted to leave alone.

FS

I agree, it all working ok at the moment so I will keep my hands off, but yes it could well be the aerial... have a vague memory of that now you have said it  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users