#1 s00049643

s00049643

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

hi all.
i am engineering student here in ireland and am hoping to do a mini conversion to rear wheel drive with a bike engine as a college project. but to do this need advice and help with measurements on rollcage and stuff as i have to make it all myself from scratch can anyone help please????????

#2 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:01 AM

Welcome to tmf. The best person to help you first of all is yourself, by reading through as much as you can of the posts already on here about your project. Then you can ask more specific questions and the tmf guys will come right back with what you need to know. Good luck!

#3 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

Welcome to TMF.

Recomended reading is Ade's R1 RWD Minus He bought a kit from Zcars who specialize in RWD bike engine and Vtec cars.

Also, although not bike engined, Eds RWD Swift conversion is a good read. Hes done everything his-self. The swift conversion starts around page 17, you could probably get some good ideas from this one.

Enjoy your stay!

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

Surely those sort of measurements you should need to work out yourself from looking at the engine and a mini shell, rather than copy them from an existing rollcage?

#5 s00049643

s00049643

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:20 PM

where to start i have been reseaching this project for few months in ireland info is hard come by. i have nine months to do this complete conversion, things i need to know basically is the full measurements of the rear rollcage that z cars reply or measurements of a roll cage like this that would work, i can do all body work etc just need a little help as am in over my head thanks.

p.s if i supplied a copy of a drawing for a roll cage could you help me put dimensions to this drawing????

#6 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

best thing is to buy a mini roll cage and use that to build off.

Like Ed4ran has done in his post

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:41 PM

I can provide you with dimensions of an SD full roll cage. Thats nothing to do with Z Cars, but will give you a start?

#8 s00049643

s00049643

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

ya that would be good. i have plenty pics of the z cars kit and could get most dimensions from studying the car the only real thig i need help with is the rear arms from the cage to the wheels what the dimensions on these are???? and how to make the rear axel?????? what parts do i need to make this axel?????

#9 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

Does this sound like it could be too much research/work/money to do in 9 months? From Scratch!!!!

#10 s00049643

s00049643

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:30 PM

i dont think so because i am a fully qualified welder and fabricator i could make the cage in 1 to 2 days. the rear axel is giving me problems as i need to know how to make it what parts i need and which way to assemble them????

#11 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

That's OK then, i wasn't trying to be negative, just wouldn't want to see someone fail their Engineering degree thats all. Shouldn't be long and some of the guys that have built them will see this, give you some general advice and hopefully be able to answer your specific questions.

Good Luck :-

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

Not trying to put down your welding/fabricating skills, but Z Cars will have a team off fully qualified people working full time for weeks developing a new kit.

#13 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

Why copy what zcars have done, do your own thing based on a safety devices cage

David

#14 welderman

welderman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

I started my own, but it has come to a halt at the moment. Work etc family commitments prevent me from finnishing it off.
Will stick it up so its back on the first page.
Joe
AKA welderman

Edited by welderman, 18 September 2006 - 03:38 PM.

#15 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

Ok here are all the dimentions, a scale drawing and all the secret parts you need.

:D Only joking :-

i dont think anyone will give you those dimentions as its a bit unfair to people that have spent lots of money on buying these kits.

i also know zcars M D chris sometimes has a look on this forum. so if i gave them to you he might keep my monte carlo.
no offence intended :errr:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users