4 replies to this topic

#1 Butcher385

Butcher385

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

As the title states, my mini is in dire need of a dashboard and some new gauges.  In the picture is the dash im looking at and can not fine the size of the holes anywhere so i dont know what gauges to be looking for.  Any help in the right direction would be great!

Thanks 

Greg

p.s. electrical or mechanical?

Attached Files

• Attached File  dash.png   135.86K   18 downloads

#2 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

The 3 small holes will be 52mm (2 inch) and the larger 2 holes will be for a standard 2 clock cluster which just screws onto the back of the panel; doesn't actually fit into the holes.

#3 russo

russo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Nelson Inc.

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:00 AM

I made up my own dashboard and imported the gauges, was a lot of work but the end result was good. At least this way you get what you want.

post-77727-0-01003000-1455587217_thumb.j

#4 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

2 inch is only 50.8mm and is not accurate enough and you will be filing for ever if you bore them that size. They really are 52mm and always have been, long before metric nuts and bolts became standard in the UK.

Screwfix or B&Q will have a 52mm hole cutter. Don't bother with the multiple size sets made of spring steel. The thick ones with hardened teeth work well, and you can get a quick change arbor so you can change the cutter for other sizes.
Widely used by electricians and plumbers.

You can cut through the web of an RSJ with one so they will have no problem with typical dashboard materials.

#5 Butcher385

Butcher385

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:28 AM

so what gauges do you all recommend? Smith's are nice but expensive....i dont need the cream of the crop but i dont want garbage either.  Im a machinist by trade and can make the holes work no problem lol. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users