Photo

What's The Best Cutting Tool For Tight Areas?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

I'm about to do a heelboard then move onto two half floors.

The angle grinder's a bit of a blunt instrument and I'd like something that's easier to use in tight areas and a bit more accurate...

Has anyone used one of those multi tools? Or would a straightforward reciprocating saw be better?

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:20 PM

There is no simple answer because every awkward spot is different. But a reciprocating saw is useful for many things. I think the multitools are over - hyped.

A reciprocating air saw might be best, being lighter, if you have a compressor. Clarke CAT119 is only £44.39.

#3 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

if you haven't bought the panels yet, get a whole floor! Just about to do my second half floor and would have been far easier to do a full floor in one go

Q

#4 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

if you haven't bought the panels yet, get a whole floor! Just about to do my second half floor and would have been far easier to do a full floor in one go

Q

Too late, already got the panels!

Thought it would make life easier keeping the centre tunnel in rather than cutting everything out. Wish I'd gone the whole hog though.

N

#5 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

if you havn't messed with them, can you take them back?

#6 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

I bought a dremmel for tight areas and with the fibre cut off wheels they are very good,
I would also vote full floor replacement as I have just done mine and it was very easy compared to half floors. As you have the panels though it will just cost you more time than a full replacement. Plenty of restorations on here though for reference.

#7 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

if you havn't messed with them, can you take them back?

+1 totally agree will never do half floors again see if you can return them and save yourself countless hours and pain

#8 neon1991

neon1991

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'm going to sound like a bit of a snob here but I did mine with a plasma cutter.  it pretty much cut everything off even bits I wasnt sure I wanted to lop off but then I ended up replacing the full inner and outer sills anyway so there wasn't much left. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users