mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,799 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

Insight: the story behind the Mini Remastered

"When the Remastered idea was revealed about six weeks ago, Brown and his small team talked about initial production of about 100 cars a year, a settle-down volume of about 250 and delivery of the first car this November. But by the end of the first day, serious enquiries – some from as far afield as Japan and Australia – had topped 650, and now the number has swelled beyond 2000. The phone rings all the time.

The company’s tiny sales team (comprising people who do other jobs but have had to learn a new skill) has started taking £2000 deposits so those with a particularly severe case of gotta-have-one disease can be on a waiting list. It’s not that the company really wants a waiting list at this stage; more that it’s a way of coping with relentless customer pressure. Brown calls the response “brilliant”, but also knows it’s going to force a re-think of his business model.

Why choose to remake Alec Issigonis’s famous little city car? “We’d been thinking about a new project for quite a while,” says Brown. “It had to be something with a bit of volume attached to it. Remastering and improving a famous British car seemed the most appealing idea. There were some obvious candidates such as the E-type, but the Mini appealed most of all.”

For the big Remastered announcement, Brown and DBA built three prototypes to show off potential themes: a luxurious Monte Carlo, a more basic Club Sport and a traditional Classic, ranging downward in price from £85,000 to £75,000 (before local taxes)."

https://www.autocar....mini-remastered

Edited by mab01uk, 28 May 2017 - 09:50 PM.

#47 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:32 AM

If they need to source & buy 250 rusty donor Minis per year (with very few usable parts for this kind of project).....it may increase the demand/price of all tatty 1980/90's Minis or their 'live' V5 documents, if they will be needing ID's for 250 new Heritage shells each year.

Quote:
"Officially, DBA refurbishes Minis, rather than making new ones, which means it will never get into the copyright trouble that has dogged other revival schemes. It works with existing cars, obtaining new shells from British Motor Heritage (a legitimate form of restoration) then sets out on a long, labour-intensive job of preparing and de-seaming them, refitting as much of the original equipment as is relevant, equipping each car with a 1275cc engine and much, much more."
https://www.autocar....mini-remastered

#48 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

Deseaming would be IVA territory though, which could get tricky.

#49 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

Deseaming would be IVA territory though, which could get tricky.

You'd be surprised.

#50 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

The issue I feel this raises is where are they sourcing the parts? And will they be buying the better quality products or just tell their customers they are? It's difficult enough at times to get hold of parts especially without 'MPi tax'. I still believe they will be victims of their own success - especially with their humble brag of releasing 2000 cars.

#51 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

This model tested in Monaco is the Monte Carlo in Rascasse Red with 98bhp and carrying a price tag of £82,500+tax (£99,000 in the UK plus registration fees)

David Brown Mini Remastered Chat with MD David Sowden at London Motor Show

Edited by mab01uk, 29 May 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#52 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

Very interesting and I do like it, but I worry about David Brown taking a lot of usable cars off the road, never to be seen again in someones collection.

Then I wonder why BMW haven't decided to tap this lucrative boys toys market?

Jag have with the new batch of light weight E-Types and also Land Rover with their limited edition refurbished series 1's.

BMW could then, like Jag commission brand new engines and gearboxes and not take much from the current second hand market.

They could probably ask for a higher price tag too. I think the Jags sold over night and they were upwards of £700K each, the profit from this idea and others enough for the company to invest in a new factory in Coventry!

Edited by DeanP, 29 May 2017 - 10:43 AM.

#53 gronkjor

gronkjor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

Has it been confirmed what sort of engine they are fitting? My guess would be an MPI or SPI but its hard to tell from their description. 

#54 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

Very interesting and I do like it, but I worry about David Brown taking a lot of usable cars off the road, never to be seen again in someones collection.

Then I wonder why BMW haven't decided to tap this lucrative boys toys market?

Jag have with the new batch of light weight E-Types and also Land Rover with their limited edition refurbished series 1's.

BMW could then, like Jag commission brand new engines and gearboxes and not take much from the current second hand market.

They could probably ask for a higher price tag too. I think the Jags sold over night and they were upwards of £700K each, the profit from this idea and others enough for the company to invest in a new factory in Coventry!

Interesting thoughts......I wonder whether BMW are now watching this Remastered Mini project with interest?

(BMW recently bought Richard Longman's 1978/79 British Touring Car Championship Winning Mini 1275GT (link below) at Coys auction to add to their growing collection of historic classic Minis.....the auction guide price was £130,000 - £160,000)

http://www.coys.co.u...-clubman-saloon

#55 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

Has it been confirmed what sort of engine they are fitting? My guess would be an MPI or SPI but its hard to tell from their description. 

I'm thinking it all depends on the donor car. If they want to use 2000 x MPI units, that's a lot of cars to source and would possibly be prohibitive. 

Unless of course any 1275 can be brought up to MPI standard using quality electronic aftermarket parts. If there is such a thing these days.

#56 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

I'm thinking it all depends on the donor car. If they want to use 2000 x MPI units, that's a lot of cars to source and would possibly be prohibitive. 

Unless of course any 1275 can be brought up to MPI standard using quality electronic aftermarket parts. If there is such a thing these days.

Although the MPi has a different block casting to move the oil filter position and allow more space for the front mounted radiator, etc.

#57 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:26 PM

I'm just thinking how much more valuable my car is going to be.

#58 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

they are horrid imo

#59 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

They are definitely for fair weather. There are no door check strap seals per the Shmee video at 14:12. The car would fill up with rain water! :lol:

#60 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

There is a review of this mini in autocar... £99k for one. Seriously???

https://www.autocar....red-2017-review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users