Photo

Fuel Tank Mounting Strap And Bracket

Best Answer sonikk4 , 08 April 2017 - 12:16 PM

Hi Bill,

i'm not at my workshop so cannot say about the height. The support is contoured to the boot floor so that dictates where it will actually go. As a guess it wont be any higher that 3/4".

Disc brakes mean nothing as the car may have had a conversion in the past They will either be 7.5" or 8.4" as these are the standard sizes. There were 7" but these were very early Cooper.

Single bolt subframe so defo post 76.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

I really need some help with this.  I failed to take pictures before I tore out the section of the floor under the petrol tank.  I have everything back in place except that blasted bracket.  I do not know where it goes for sure and before I weld in the new one I made I'd really like to know.  What is confusing me is there is a hole in the tank in the same general area but it does not come close being in line with the hole in the bracket.  And, when I place the old bracket in what I think is the correct location the strap is too short to reach the bracket by about 1" or 25 mm.  Maybe that is how it should be to allow the bolt to draw the strap tight.  Does the bracket butt tight against the flange on the tank? 

And on top of this, when I did several searches looking for anything that would help I discovered what is called a left hand tank support bracket. Heritage part # 14A6867.  If this car had one then the previous repair person eliminated it.  Is it required?

I have included some pictures for your reference.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Bill

Attached Files

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

The hole in the tank has nothing to do with the bracket so ignore that completely. Have a look for Wills Mini Special as I posted measurements on there.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

http://i1206.photobu...zpsdf6af841.jpg

#4 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

Thanks Niel. That will get the strap bracket in then correct spot. Do I need that Heritage part 14A6867? I honestly don't see how it could fit under the tank. But then I'm still a real green horn on these Mini's so what do I know?

Thanks again,

Bill

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

Ok the other bracket is for a 5.5 gallon fuel tank as fitted to the mk3 and earlier and yes you do need it. Agin i have measurements for that as well as i have just fitted a new one to my MK3 Clubman

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:11 PM

IMG_3694_zpssvazlmxb.jpg

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

My car has a different mounting point for the strap so i think your car must be a MK4 onwards. Correct me if im wrong though.

#8 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:45 PM

I'll try to keep this short. I don't know what year car we really have. We bought it from a guy in New Jersey who said it was a 1978 with an MG Metro engine. I was able to verify that it is indeed a Metro engine. The car was originally right hand drive and converted to left hand quite a while ago. It has internal door hinges and roll up widows. It had no VIN tag or other identifying numbers on it. New Jersey doesn't care once a car is over ten years old. So we bought a blank tag and stamped in the VIN that was on the title given to us. The state of Pennsylvania does care but there is no way for the state to prove us wrong. I do believe it is a 78 but could never prove it.

Anyway, thanks for those additional pictures and dimensions. I'll make that tank support.

Bill

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

Well the shell could be a MK3 onwards. Is the front subframe a twin bolt or single bolt type ( the tower bolts) if it's a twin bolt then it will be a MK3 shell, if it's a single bolt then these changed over from 76 onwards.

#10 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

It's a single bolt. So, everything seems to indicate it really is a 1978. It also has front disc brakes. Don't if they had them when new.

Also, what is the height of the tank support? I guess all it really needs to do is hold the tank seem off the floor so could figure that out.

Bill

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:16 PM   Best Answer

Hi Bill,

i'm not at my workshop so cannot say about the height. The support is contoured to the boot floor so that dictates where it will actually go. As a guess it wont be any higher that 3/4".

Disc brakes mean nothing as the car may have had a conversion in the past They will either be 7.5" or 8.4" as these are the standard sizes. There were 7" but these were very early Cooper.

Single bolt subframe so defo post 76.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users