#1 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:15 PM

Hi

What is better media blasting or chemical stripping - I have heard good and bad about both

too much heat in media blasting distorts the panels using soda leave a residue which causes paint issues and the media can get left in box sections etc.

chemical stripping if not completely cleaned after stripping leaves a residue which leaches out and causes a paint issues 

anyone with any experience of either?

Thanks

Darren

#2 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Local Club: Minifreaks

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

Hi jdlmini
I had my shell shot blasted only as if it had been dipped (chemical stripping) it would have probaly come out with a very little amount of shell left.
Cost me £670 to have it shot blasted and red oxide coated but that price also included transport both ways.
Regards.
Rapidmini59

#3 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

I have used a media blaster for about 18 years now and have not had issues with paint be it 2K or cellulose.

Its true that the plastic media leaves a residue on the panels but it personally has not been a when problem as preparing for paint the as whole surface gets a DA and a block down anyway.

Yes media in box sections can be a pain in the neck as no matter how much you blast it with an air line a tiny bit will always find its way into the first primer coat.

I once blasted a bonnet and on the last section found a clump of filler so the bonnet was chucked outside around the back on the workshop, several weeks later there was not the slightest bit of rust on the bare metal due to the plastic residue.

We sand blast ( aluminium oxide ) rusty items and even in the workshop they will start rusting before the end of the day unless dipped in zinc primer.

We avoid sheet metal as the shot can easily distort thin steel by removing the tension, maybe a tiny spot here and there but that`s it.

The problem with acid dip is it keeps on eating away inside the seams for years to come

#4 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

I believe envirostrip uses an oven to burn the paint off, gets good reviews but not tried myself.

#5 clarkey31

clarkey31

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

I run a resto company and blasting unit and have been blasting cars for many years if done properly you wont get panel damage..

#6 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

Thank you for all the replies so it looks like media blasting if done right is the way to go

Thanks

Darren 

#7 Surgeryman

Surgeryman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

I believe envirostrip uses an oven to burn the paint off, gets good reviews but not tried myself.

I used EnviroStrip to remove the paint and underseal from my Mk1 body with excellent results. The company I used to do the welding and paint has extensive experience with classic cars and uses EnviroStrip for all the cars they restore. I would recommend EnviroStrip without hesitation.

Peter

#8 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

Don't acid dip! The seams rot away. Even if e-coated. I know this from personal bitter experience . Don't ruin your car or parts

Stick with alternative methods

Merv

#9 Surgeryman

Surgeryman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

Not all chemical stripping companies use the same process. My body-shop and paint company had poor experience of acid residue and poor e-coat adhesion in cars treated by one UK company, but have had no problems with any of the cars handled by EnviroStrip.

Peter

#10 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:44 PM

Hi Peter, wasn't replying to you, rather the original poster. Anyways far as I'm aware envirostrip use a process of applying heat rather than acid

I can't name names but all my experience of two companies doing acid in the Midlands is - don't do it! Can't stress that enough

Cheers

Merv

Edited by Mervyn, 11 April 2017 - 04:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users