8 replies to this topic

#1 Mallery10

Mallery10

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

Hi all,  Took my Z cars vote for an MOT today.  New their would be some bits to do but I thought it would add the motivation to get it finished!!!.  MOT tester looked baffled and impressed at my car, but refused to MOT it as he was not sure if it it needed a single vehicle test.  Anyone else had s similar problem.  Ive read the pinned thread on passing the IVA test but was hoping an MOT would be the way to go.  Any help as always appreciated  Phil

#2 LSC

LSC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

Not sure what conversation you had with them but its got nothing to do with them whether or not it needs an IVA test

they just need to tick or cross boxes as presented

go to a different garage and as long as it can get on the ramp and ticks all the boxes you're ok

Its up to you if you want to go down the SVA/IVA route or play ignorance as I'm sure you've done your research and no where you stand

#3 Mallery10

Mallery10

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

Cheers mate

#4 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

Is that right?  I thought there was a tick box on the MOT for "significantly modified" or similar, which triggers an IVA.  Regardless your car does need an IVA to be on the road legally.

#5 LSC

LSC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

Is that right?  I thought there was a tick box on the MOT for "significantly modified" or similar, which triggers an IVA.  Regardless your car does need an IVA to be on the road legally.

Couldn't be more wrong - Nothing to do with MOT or MOT tester

any other query is a completely different subject and is along similar lines to not changing the engine size when upgrading to 1275 from 998 and changing vehicle colours

dangerous when people start posting messages as gospel truth when in reality they don't have a clue

#6 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

I didn't post anything as 'gospel truth', I stated my opinion.  What I thought was based on a proposal that was out a few years ago, I've checked and it looks like didn't come into force in the end.  However, if you look at the TMF sticky on the subject, it matches what I've posted and includes examples of MOT testers reporting radically altered vehicles, which were then required to pass an IVA before being allowed back on the road. 

Z Cars conversions are caught by the 'radically altered vehicle' rules and do need an IVA to be on the road legally, regardless of whether there's a tick box on the MOT to report them.

#7 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

Exactly! The monocoque has been modified. Nothing else is necessary to make the IVA test compulsory, but we could start to count the points for engine, axles, etc, which would only make the situation worse. Anyone driving a Z-Cars conversion in the UK without it having passed the IVA test is breaking the law. No ifs, buts, or shades of grey. It is a plain black and white issue.

#8 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

I'd rather have a motted well built zcars driving past a busy kids school than an oversilled drum braked 1275 deathtrap . Dvla rules make little sense . I don't worry about how others have registered their cars and neither should you

Merv

Edited by Mervyn, 01 May 2017 - 03:31 PM.

#9 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local Club: Crews missels

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

Hi all,  Took my Z cars vote for an MOT today.  New their would be some bits to do but I thought it would add the motivation to get it finished!!!.  MOT tester looked baffled and impressed at my car, but refused to MOT it as he was not sure if it it needed a single vehicle test.  Anyone else had s similar problem.  Ive read the pinned thread on passing the IVA test but was hoping an MOT would be the way to go.  Any help as always appreciated  Phil

NAME IT? SO OTHERS CAN AVIOD IT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users