18 replies to this topic

#1 Owens

Owens

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

Anyone any experience doing a DIY vinyl wrap on their mini?

Any hints, tips and lesson learnt by others would be greatly appreciated.

I don't mean any wheeler dealers stuff or fake carbon. I mean a proper vinyl wrap colour change.

Cheers.

#2 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

The mixture of external seals and the shape of a mini makes it difficult. The outer seams e.g. Apanel to wings you will find it difficult to make it look good.

I contemplated it myself but the complications with the shape of a mini make it less ideal. And like with the wheelerdeeler one repairs will be hard to do.

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

The mixture of external seals and the shape of a mini makes it difficult. The outer seams e.g. Apanel to wings you will find it difficult to make it look good.
I contemplated it myself but the complications with the shape of a mini make it less ideal. And like with the wheelerdeeler one repairs will be hard to do.

One of our club members had it doneAttached File  IMG_0662.JPG   108.03K   28 downloads

FS

#4 matt050990

matt050990

I have upside down nipples

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Currently Ridin' Solo :)

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

I done mine with plastidip paint.

Goes on like paint, dries like vynl so can be peeled.

Very easy for a novice and covered all edges, trim and more with ease...

#5 MR J

MR J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local Club: Doncaster Mini Owners

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

I'm doing my Toyota MR2, I thought after watching a few youtube videos that it would be quite easy. let me tell you, it's not! lol

Very tedious and probably would have been easier to paint it to be honest.

edited_1442761669307_zpscfduykki.jpg

DSC_0246_zpsalagunnf.jpg

#6 Owens

Owens

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

I done mine with plastidip paint.

Goes on like paint, dries like vynl so can be peeled.

Very easy for a novice and covered all edges, trim and more with ease...

I hate plastidip haha! Although I haven't used it for about 5 or 6 years so maybe it's come on a bit since then. 

Your mini looks well though! Maybe I just suck at it lol.

I'm doing my Toyota MR2, I thought after watching a few youtube videos that it would be quite easy. let me tell you, it's not! lol

Very tedious and probably would have been easier to paint it to be honest.

DSC_0246_zpsalagunnf.jpg

Your mr2 looks good mate, you've done well on the front bumper, some awkward curves there!

#7 Owens

Owens

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

As you said, it's the outer seams that worry me haha!

I did start a diy vinyl wrap on my mk1 golf, I've got one wing done and that's about it so far. That project is on hold for now though!

#8 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

I personally am thinking plastidip in satin white/dark blue to see what it looks like, I know another chap on here has done it to his whole car(matt050990). his seams looked good. 

#9 matt050990

matt050990

I have upside down nipples

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Currently Ridin' Solo :)

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

Plastidip did well for me.
Covered well, gives good finish too.
Pretty durable to scratches and easily patched up.
I'm a complete novice with painting and I'm happy with the results.
As anything though, the finish is only ever as good as the prep, mine wasn't the most impeccable to start with so any blemishes do show through. Guessing different colours show / hide more.

#10 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:05 AM

Hows Plastidip holding up? I been considering either Plastidip or wrap for my next build

#11 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:29 PM

Hows Plastidip holding up? I been considering either Plastidip or wrap for my next build

I wrapped my roof with Avery Dennison wrap and found it pretty easy to apply, it was very forgiving at being pulled off and reapplied several times as it doesnt properly stick until you apply pressure with a squeegee.
So from that point of view Id definitely recommend Avery Dennison supreme wrap.
HOWEVER personally I found the actual finish really horrible. In pictures it looks nice and glossy but in person it had a horrible tin foil appearance. Like glossy wrapping paper. Unless you was half blind I dont think anyone would be fooled into thinking its paint.
For custom prints or something Im sure it would be great, but I did solid gloss black and it was ripped off within 12 hours
Photos are on my build thread

#12 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:53 PM

Thank you for that info, recently bought a fiberglass shell and want to leave the white gelcoat alone and not paint over it so I been looking into either Plastidip or wrap, I am mainly leaning towards the wrap more because I found a rust wrap (similar to the one the car in the attached file has) that I really like and want to see how that looks on a classic Mini. I been hearing that a good wrap on a car can last anywhere from 3 to 7 years any truth to this?

Attached Files

Edited by Mini-dude, 09 April 2018 - 10:56 PM.

#13 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

Thank you for that info, recently bought a fiberglass shell and want to leave the white gelcoat alone and not paint over it so I been looking into either Plastidip or wrap, I am mainly leaning towards the wrap more because I found a rust wrap (similar to the one the car in the attached file has) that I really like and want to see how that looks on a classic Mini. I been hearing that a good wrap on a car can last anywhere from 3 to 7 years any truth to this?

Id be tempted to try and find a car with this wrap and see it in person before you commit any cash to it.
The photos of my wrapped roof look great but in person it was really awful.
If youre going for the rusty patina look Im sure you could do a great custom job with some real paint.
From what I read when looking into wraps they do last pretty well if maintained and not left in the sun too much.
Not trying to put you off wrapping as Im sure it can look great but from my experience I wish I would have gone and properly looked at a wrapped roof before spending my money.

#14 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

I see thank you for the suggestion, main reason I ruled out paint is because I'm terrified of it I never been a good painter and I'm probably still not a good painter. Main reason for going for the rusty platina look is because I wanted a sleeper you know something that looks like you just dragged out of the junkyard and it's barely running on one piston, but surprises everyone when it actually performs. I read that one of the main problem with wrap are seam line, where two wraps come together that what kill the look, that why i been looking into the Knifeless Tape Butt Joint Technique

Edited by Mini-dude, 10 April 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#15 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:59 PM

I see thank you for the suggestion, main reason I ruled out paint is because I'm terrified of it I never been a good painter and I'm probably still not a good painter. Main reason for going for the rusty platina look is because I wanted a sleeper you know something that looks like you just dragged out of the junkyard and it's barely running on one piston, but surprises everyone when it actually performs. I read that one of the main problem with wrap are seam line, where two wraps come together that what kill the look, that why i been looking into the Knifeless Tape Butt Joint Technique

I painted my roof in the end with a few rattle cans from Halfords and the results I think are great. Yeah its not perfect but it looks alright to me and 100x better than the wrap

VW forums might be worth browsing through but if you want that patina rusty rat look you can get rust paint, Ive also seen people do a few different layers of different colours then rub them back so you get that semi restored look.
I was scared of paint but managed to get a nice shiney roof with 0 skill. I found that the clear coat made all the difference in giving a nice even shiney finish. Ive never done patina but how hard can it be to make something look abandoned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users