46 replies to this topic

#31 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

That's spot on ^^. And the comments above as well. All the bad managers I have ever worked for are those looking up the whole time, not those looking after the workers. They never say no, except to those below them. There was an article on the BBC the other day about Hippos. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit, found it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-39633499

Edited by Black.Ghost, 30 April 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#32 Simont

Simont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:04 PM

Ahh lean, what a pain in the arse. One company i worked for in Civil Aviation went full monty on this process along with 5S. What a bleeding misery. 

Its something that can be done on a production line (Boeing) but on a ever changing flexible day to day work area (line and hangar engineering) nearly impossible to fully implement.

The Lean process is part of my remit as an Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor but trying to fully engage with it is nigh on impossible. I do not force it on my team as it makes their working lives a pain to deal with along with the workload fluxing from hour to hour.

we had a lean drive at the large british airline with a wavy flag on the tail,
porsche came along, visited the majors hangars and provided a few useful solutions, and charged a hefty sum for the pleasure,
they arrived at heathrow line, provided little to no gain for extortionate amounts of money, and within a week lean was no more,
there is an office waller who's job it is to monitor C.I. but actually it seems to have a died a death, especially after they brought in Ipads to speed up the process, which itself doubles our workload,

#33 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Ahh lean, what a pain in the arse. One company i worked for in Civil Aviation went full monty on this process along with 5S. What a bleeding misery. 

Its something that can be done on a production line (Boeing) but on a ever changing flexible day to day work area (line and hangar engineering) nearly impossible to fully implement.

The Lean process is part of my remit as an Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor but trying to fully engage with it is nigh on impossible. I do not force it on my team as it makes their working lives a pain to deal with along with the workload fluxing from hour to hour.

we had a lean drive at the large british airline with a wavy flag on the tail,
porsche came along, visited the majors hangars and provided a few useful solutions, and charged a hefty sum for the pleasure,
they arrived at heathrow line, provided little to no gain for extortionate amounts of money, and within a week lean was no more,
there is an office waller who's job it is to monitor C.I. but actually it seems to have a died a death, especially after they brought in Ipads to speed up the process, which itself doubles our workload,

Ahh the dreaded Ipads. When they work all is well but Boeing Toolbox can be a complete arse.

#34 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

For those who work in the defence industry, military or anything like that, you may be aware of the new Government Security Classification system replacing the old way of doing things. In short, we have Official, Secret and Top Secret instead of Restricted, Confidential, Secret and Top Secret. Rumour has it that part of the reason for bringing this system, while partly to improve the efficiency, was predominantly due to certain powers that be wanting to be able to use tablets and more specifically iPads which they couldn't do with the old system. It has not improved efficiency, and has cost industry millions in re-writing security documents for contracts, and changing standards, which have to be flowed down to sub-contractors, etc. Rumour also has it that the guy that came up with it, and put it through the process to be implemented, knew it would be difficult and has since retired a relatively wealthy man. 

This is what happens when you let people who are too senior come up with ideas on their own and don't talk to the people doing the actual jobs. Sometimes, change is needed. But invariably, the people forcing the change through don't actually know what it should change to!

#35 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:43 PM

Ahh the dreaded Ipads. When they work all is well but Boeing Toolbox can be a complete arse.

I had a director who kept insisting that we changed our inspection process so that we filled it in on an iPad instead of a piece of paper.

I had to keep explaining to him that the environment we were working in was not suitable for delicate electronics. The place was full of grinding dust and all the products were coated in bitumen.

I left the company before it ever got implemented after falling out with said director.

He was another for constantly calling meetings which were either completely unnecessary or nothing was accomplished. I once sat through a 2 and a half hour meeting only to be given a 'plan of action' which was just a typed up version of what I and another member of staff had written on a whiteboard in about 10 minutes,a few days earlier.

The job I had afterwards, I might have hated but I achieved more there in 3 months than I had in almost 2 and a half years at the previous one.

#36 Simont

Simont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:26 PM

the most productive thing I think i've used my ipad for so far, is you can fit 6 vending machine coffees on one.

the Airline spent £8 million handing out ipads to engineers, writing apps, creating databases and software to drive it,

2 years later, it still isn't working as planned, most guys use them for sky sports and thats it,
and the management spend most of their time creating nonsense targets to justify the ridiculous spend to the upper echelons in madrid

on the positive side, we have a competitive shift ipad snooker tournament,

#37 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:01 AM

funny-pictures-auto-538374.png

#38 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

Sounds like bad management rather than efficient working practices...
The key point about improvement is to spend the time to understand not only what is done currently but the how and why.
You can't do this by butterflying in some consultants.
I work in this field and the antics of the bluffers and charlatans annoy me endlessly especially those who have never done a real job but just go from university to consultancy in lean or six sigma. Often their lack of interpersonal skills is hidden by the endless bull and acronyms they use.

I have a black belt.......but also a brown one, it depends on which trousers I'm wearing :lol:

We have made lots of improvements over years, but it isn't quick, simple or done in an office. The key word is we, not me.

FS

#39 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

Hey FS, that is perfectly illustrated in the Showtime series "House of Lies". Here is episode 1 of the series, and there is a perfect example of "the antics of the bluffers and charlatans" at the 8:10 mark. Beware it is NSFW!

#40 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Damn won't let me play it as "not available in your country". Guess I'll be able to see it next time I'm in the US

FS

#41 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:26 PM

Sorry about that, I did not know that You Tube had country restrictions.  However, somebody summarized the best parts of the episode in about 5 minutes. This one should work. The video quality is low though.

#42 lordyoung1980

lordyoung1980

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

We have a manager trying implement tablets at work. Not iPads though,we're not that posh. We use Shire Pirana maintenance system. It's crap and makes our job a lot harder,by having to fill the same info in 4-5 times on one report. It's been trying to run for years but just does not work fully.

#43 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

OK, got it.

Here it is.

Presenting the 5 Ps

Proper

Preparation

Prevents

P!ss

Poor

Performance

Edited by Moke Spider, 28 May 2017 - 01:05 AM.

#44 b_sdaddy

b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

or..

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

#45 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:11 AM

Moke. I've had a few whiskies, but I believe that's the 6Ps.

Edited by Black.Ghost, 03 June 2017 - 05:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users