Photo

Reliant In A Van? Is This Guy Havin A Laff?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

So i am currently waiting for some young bloke to come and pick up the reliant im selling.

Was due to come on tuesday but had to cancel amd is now on his way, should be here by eight.

Earlier he asked for the dimensions of the reliant so he could get the right trailer. He has just sent me a text asking if i will be able to load it. I said fine... its not a heavy car and i can lift it onto axle stands without a jack.

He just sent another message saying that hes in a luton van with a tail lift. Is this bloke having a f*****g giggle?

I think this may be a struggle. Its a shame itll be dark when he gets here so i will struggle to get pictures for you all.

#2 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

:lol:

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

It'll fit but getting it up there will be a challenge

#4 cooperdan

cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

oh this is comedy gold waiting

#5 craigr91

craigr91

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Local Club: nwminiclub

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

I once transported a clubman estate shell via a Luton van to be welded :) easy enough with two people golding the back end, front end on pallet and use tait lift to lift up

#6 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

As soon as hes out of the front gate (army camp with guards etx i dont care). I have me, my wife and the buyer to do it...

To make matters worse/better the reliant doesnt mive under its own steam

#7 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

I've looked at moving a mini shell in a Luton with a tail lift. So it might be possible.

#8 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Local Club: Minifreaks

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yes a luton is the best way.
When my shell had to be collected after the guy doing it had to go bankrupt, i hired a luton and three of us put it on the tail lift two kept it level whilst i took it up on the lift.
Does make it easy.
Lutons are the easiest as the wheel arches are not inside the back.

#9 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

Just done it. Front wheel on. Lift ramp as far as possible. Open back door (lucky it was an estate) then lift up amd push on. Suprisingly only took 20 mins!

Pics to follow.

#10 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:32 PM

I have had a Rialto and a Regal in the back of a LWB Transit (not at the same time :lol:) Both went in snugly but fitted ok.

Huge comedy value when stopping at filling station and seeing peoples faces when you open the back doors of the van.

I have used a Luton several times for the collection of Mini shells. there is tonnes of room to spare

oR2XmNu.jpg

#11 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

A mate of mine ended up with a chavved up Corsa inside the back of his Fiat Doblo van a couple of years ago as he was sat at some temporary traffic lights in a 30 zone, the lad got out (somehow?) and said to my mate, " oh **** sorry mate, can we do this without going through the insurance as I've already got one going through and that one is a big one"! 

#12 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:53 AM

Attached File  IMG_0049.JPG   35.31K   15 downloads

Luton with tailift

FS

#13 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

Pictures provided:
Attached File  rsz_received_10155177698797964.jpg   51.84K   29 downloadsAttached File  rsz_received_10155177698502964.jpg   38.35K   28 downloads

#14 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

Brilliant.

Did they manage to strap it down?

#15 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:14 PM

I have transported many minis in a Luton, with a few funny stories along the way. However, I have also loaded one, complete, in the back by myself. I simply put the front wheels on the tail lift, and positioned an engine hoist at the rear with straps attached to the rear subframe. I then lifted the tail lift a bit, then raised the hoist a bit. I repeated this until the tail lift was all the way up. I then pushed the hoist forward, moving the mini into the back of the Luton. It really was pretty easy. The mini was hanging in the air for a bit though. 

This was to transport it from Ashford to Bournemouth. However, the Luton broke down so I called the breakdown guys. They came out to Fleet Services (it was running fine, a light came on and then wouldn't start afterwards). They couldn't fix it, so tried putting it on the recovery vehicle, but the recovery vehicle broke something or other. Next one came out, and that worked. I now had a Mini (plus engine hoist) in a van, on a recovery vehicle. Instead of taking me straight to Bournemouth, we went via a yard and transferred the Mini from the van to the recovery vehicle. Once the van was on the ground, we had to push it to turn it around. We then set the tail lift to the right height, and the recovery vehicle was reversed back and we just pushed the mini straight out and onto the recovery truck. The engine hoist was also secured to the truck. We then made our to Bournemouth. However, the final problem was that the flat in which my GF lived was extremely tight for space, so we had to roll the mini off the back, up a hill, and then push it around the side of the flat. I then had to move it again, because her landlord found out about it. 

I also took one all the way to Germany, along with the rest of my belongings, when I was posted there. I've also had one come loose in the back on a steep hill that would have flown out the back had it not been for the tail lift. I once got one out of a Luton using two planks of wood, and tail lift half way to take the weight. I just pushed it out, hoping for the bricks at the end to catch it. It just went straight over those and up the slope, so I jumped out and caught it on the way down. 

Lots of fun with Minis and Lutons. I miss those days. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users