8 replies to this topic

#1 neilw

neilw

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

I've been wanting to re-live my youth and buy an MG Metro as this was my first ever car after passing my test and although it was a complete nightmare it held a fondness with me that is still there 25 years later.

I was browsing the internet and saw a very nice example and mentioned it in conversation to the wife. She shut the idea down but said that she'd always wanted a mini. I was immediately up for the idea of restoring a classic mini as I've never owned one but it would certainly turn more heads (for the right reason) than an 80's Metro ever could.

So I told her if she could find one that wasn't too far gone for around £1k then go for it. Needless to say within 24 hours we are the proud owners of a 1981 Mini 1000 :) We can't collect it until the end of the month but I have already started clearing space in the garage in readiness of its arrival.

It has some issues, big ends knocking, floor needing work and some general TLC. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in over the summer but it will be a long term project so I estimate it probably won't see the light of day for another few years.

No doubt I'll need some help which is why I've joined this forum, I have found that forums can be a great source of information and generally have friendly a knowledgeable members so I'm looking forward to chatting with some of you in the near future.

Thanks

Neil

Edited by neilw, 15 April 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#2 Readers14

Readers14

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

Welcome & enjoy the project!

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

Welcome to TMF

#4 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

Welcome to the forum, when you take delivery post some up, we like pictures. Also you may want to consider becoming a TMF+ member at the cost of £5 per year it also gives you discount at some suppliers ie Mini Sares 7.5% which comes in handy when doing a resto' or even just routine maintenance.

#5 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

Welcome to TMF, plenty of advice and general motivation by being on here.

FS

#6 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

You'll enjoy this forum. I'm on a few different ones for different projects and this one is the most active. If you post a query you're certain to get a quick reply, several in fact, and quite a few contradictory ones; it makes for very lively debate.

#7 neilw

neilw

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for your replies. I'm hoping to collect our little Mini next Thursday (04/05/17) but I have already invested in a new Welder and engine hoist. I've also made room in the garage so it will have somewhere to live during the upcoming work.

I've sourced some steel sheets and have been practicing welding which is coming on nicely. I opted for a mid range welder, a Clarke 135TE Turbo Mig Welder, it was a reasonable price and the chap in Machine Mart assured me it would be suitable for the jobs I'll need to tackle so we'll see how it goes.

I'll post some pictures up next week hopefully once I've picked it up.

#8 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:49 PM

It's good to see you've become a TMF+ member. If you look in the traders section you'll see who does the good deals and also it supports the forum. Looking forward to seeing it develop through pictures.

#9 neilw

neilw

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

So after a a very long 900+ round trip we now have our little mini in our garage and raring to tackle all the jobs needed to get her back on the road.

I could list what is wrong with it but I'd be here all day  :proud:

I had the engine running yesterday but it has a low end knocking so I'm planning on getting it out next weekend to have a look.

And so the fun begins  :D

Attached Files

Edited by neilw, 08 May 2017 - 01:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users