Photo
- - - - -

1972 Mini 1000 - Nut And Bolt Restoration.

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 Curley

Curley

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:35 PM

Loveling your work buddy & look forward to seeing the finished project!

#77 SamG

SamG

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:53 PM

any progress mate? Its not far off this time next year now!

sadly looks like your pic links have died!

Yes! Lots of progress! I'll do a big update shortly. I'm hopeful of getting the bodywork completed this month but we'll see.

#78 SamG

SamG

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

Are you still able to make these? Would be interested for my Van if you could!

Unfortunately not! I've just finished work ahead of our emigration in June. However I may have some spare at the unit, I'll have a look when I'm next up there on Monday.

#79 mini_surfari

mini_surfari

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:36 AM

Are you still able to make these? Would be interested for my Van if you could!

Unfortunately not! I've just finished work ahead of our emigration in June. However I may have some spare at the unit, I'll have a look when I'm next up there on Monday.

Thats very kind, I appreciate it.

#80 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:00 AM

Unfortunately I've been struggling to get up to work on the mini recently due to work and family commitments, but I have managed to get the rear end pretty much finished off. I opted for a Magnum rear valance mainly due to it being less than half the price of a heritage panel. It's the first non-heritage or M-Machine panel I've gone for and although the steel is noticeably thinner, the fit was more than acceptable and it lined up well.  Along with the valance I bought M-Machines rear valance closing panel/subframe mount panel.

I didn't take any pictures of it all clamped up but it all fitted together well. Here's the O/S closing panel tacked in place ans spot welded to the valance. Note the ropey seam weld along rear of the wheel arch - I couldn't get the spot welder in there to weld all three panels together so tried to run a seam along the top, not the prettiest but it'll do for now! One of the holes for rear subframe bolt is unavoidably slightly out so that'll need re-drilling later on too. 

20180512_102127_HDR.jpg

And fully seam welded in place. 

20180512_102741_HDR.jpg

In future I'll also drill holes in the closing panel and plug weld it to the boot floor, not sure why I didn't this time, I think I just got a but of tunnel vision and overlooked it   >_< .

Here's the other one welded on too along with the valance.

20180512_114630_HDR.jpg

And a shot from underneath after welding the valance on. It was all nice and easy due to being nice new steel so the spot welder took really well to it, it was just a slow process as the duty cycle only allows 2 welds per minute. I also made sure to crank it up as it was essentially welding a 3 panel sandwich. 

20180512_114827_HDR.jpg

The only bit I'm not happy with is the the very ends of closing panels not mating with the end of the valance as you can see. I put this down to a slightly incorrect profile shape on the M-Machine closing panel but it won't be too much work to quickly knock up a piece to fill it in.

Mine has all original factory panel work in that area and also has the gap there just as yours (as I've used it to inject rust proofing stuff), so I wouldn't personally worry about it. 

Nice work by the way.

Edited by cp2708, 05 April 2019 - 11:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares