#16 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

Thanks team, have actually made contact with some polish tuners...who have a connection to a guy who maps the mega squirt system. I am thinking this must in the same ball park....they did say they would need a lambda sensor as mentioned above...and asked for specs ( see if they could source one for me???) sounds helpful. Is there a big difference between these things?

On the other side i tried a map from someone with a similar engine setup
..somewhat better the car will tick over by itself now when warm :-) hope car does not catch fire:-S

Sc said they could help me remotely as well so at least i have options now. I shall also contact the polish tuners you mentioned Sprocket:-) Thanks for the help. Stupid thing is now....in 2 years the mini
Will be 30 years old and i could get an h plate in germany ( historic status) wonder if the carb and dizzy will need to go back on for that?

SC do a lambda sensor kit which plugs directly into their ECU, I'd email them about it.

Its only the same as any other wideband lamda kit, absolutely nothing special.

#17 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thanks team, have actually made contact with some polish tuners...who have a connection to a guy who maps the mega squirt system. I am thinking this must in the same ball park....they did say they would need a lambda sensor as mentioned above...and asked for specs ( see if they could source one for me???) sounds helpful. Is there a big difference between these things?

On the other side i tried a map from someone with a similar engine setup
..somewhat better the car will tick over by itself now when warm :-) hope car does not catch fire:-S

Sc said they could help me remotely as well so at least i have options now. I shall also contact the polish tuners you mentioned Sprocket:-) Thanks for the help. Stupid thing is now....in 2 years the mini
Will be 30 years old and i could get an h plate in germany ( historic status) wonder if the carb and dizzy will need to go back on for that?

SC do a lambda sensor kit which plugs directly into their ECU, I'd email them about it.

Its only the same as any other wideband lamda kit, absolutely nothing special.
I agree.

#18 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

SC should be able to help sort things out with a remote session, but I would think there will still be fine tuning necessary.

Having the wide band will assist in their ability to see what is happening remotely, at least at idle.

The wideband they were selling last year was a 14point7 Spartan 2 with a Bosch LSU 4.9 Wideband O2 Sensor. This can be bought direct, but he is in Canada I believe and you will need to use the connector from an old sensor, where the SC version has the connector provided.

You will also need to update the lambda map in the SXTune software to reflect the widebands output voltage. This is provided on the information sheet from 14point7 and comes with the SC product.

Make sure all the basics are set up correctly before looking at the SXTune software and tuning. I implemented an SC kit in a wagon which required some other modifications. I was using a newly rebuilt engine and spent some time sorting it out, unfortunately I had a slightly bent valve that complicated things until I found it.

I just took a couple of 150 mile roundtrips in the car and it seems to be running well. I still need to book another session at a rolling rod to fine tune it.

Terry

#19 Ann-Wilson

Ann-Wilson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local Club: looking, (Live in Germany)

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

Am again back to square 1. Engine running but suspect still too rich...the polish tuners have gone quiet.. I am reluctant to quit. . This injection idea having taken the jump...i have a wide band lambda...which i shall fit in next week. There are two heater wires...anyone know how these connect up? I have the 6 pin aux plug from Sc....?

Lastly what kind of readings am i looking for from lambda guages?

Thanks for any help...

Yours gratefully,

Rich

#20 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Am again back to square 1. Engine running but suspect still too rich...the polish tuners have gone quiet.. I am reluctant to quit. . This injection idea having taken the jump...i have a wide band lambda...which i shall fit in next week. There are two heater wires...anyone know how these connect up? I have the 6 pin aux plug from Sc....?

Lastly what kind of readings am i looking for from lambda guages?

Thanks for any help...

Yours gratefully,

Rich

You need to connect pin 5 (black) on the aux connector to the Lambda ground, pin 6 (slate) to the Lambda Sensor Signal Input and pin 2 (white) to the 12volt feed on the Lambda Sensor.

#21 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

Don't forget to switch the Lambda on in the software.

Its absolutely imperative you make sure the manifold to collector connection is completely sealed otherwise there's every chance air leaking in will give a low reading and the Lambda will give an instruction to the ECU to richen the mixture.

The only satisfactory way I could seal mine was by using high temp exhaust silicone sealant and clamping it with mikalor clamps.

#22 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Interesting I've got sc's wideband and plugged it straight into the loom with no extra connections, (MPi) and didn't use sealant just screwed it into the lcb y piece.

Got me thinking is mine leaking, and have I actually got the lambda connected wiring wise.. Got mapping booked for Sunday! My base map has been running rich, and their sw5 map would barely run at all on my setup.

#23 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

Interesting I've got sc's wideband and plugged it straight into the loom with no extra connections, (MPi) and didn't use sealant just screwed it into the lcb y piece.

Got me thinking is mine leaking, and have I actually got the lambda connected wiring wise.. Got mapping booked for Sunday! My base map has been running rich, and their sw5 map would barely run at all on my setup.

If it's a sleeve joint on the exhaust it won't seal without some sort of flexible sealant and therefore it'll be sending an incorrect reading. The best solution is to use a flexible exhaust silicone but you need to leave it 24 hours after you've applied it (to very clean surfaces) otherwise when you start it up it'll blow it straight back out.

If it's a flange fitting with gaskets then you've no problem.

#24 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:32 AM

If it's a sleeve joint on the exhaust it won't seal without some sort of flexible sealant and therefore it'll be sending an incorrect reading. The best solution is to use a flexible exhaust silicone but you need to leave it 24 hours after you've applied it (to very clean surfaces) otherwise when you start it up it'll blow it straight back out.

Checked last night for re-asurance, used paste on the y piece and use a heat gun when fitting to cure it like we've always done, no soot from that or the thread of the wideband so hopefully will be ok on Sunday, think im just nervous as im used to carb and dizzy dyno setups, not new EFI aha. 

#25 Ann-Wilson

Ann-Wilson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the advice...so i have the six pin plug as i said from sc. But the lambda sensor is a 4 cable magneti marelli slp4100. I bought this believing it to be wide band....however since Sc has said that it is probably narrow band as it only has four wires. ( black, slate and 2 white for heater)...any ideas? Tried to find out but no success so far. Just been looking at the ignition advanced map...it appears to have a range from 18 degrees at idle to 50.... I am assume that the real advance is half these figures...."waste spark!?" any comments? Last question for now....what kind of voltage am i looking for on the lambda settings....too rich...too lean..?...must say the delta programme is no where near as easy as SC initially said it was. I am not a complete beginner with computer...programming nor minis.. Maybe this package should be sold with a health warning...!:) plus many of the maps i have from different places...all seem to be the same as the Sc mild tune.. With kent 296 cam in the title..makes me wonder...? Does anyone have any other maps...for 1293, sw7 cam, mild polished head. Lcb into rc40?

Thanks for anyone with any comments or continued help, support

#26 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

Checked last night for re-asurance, used paste on the y piece and use a heat gun when fitting to cure it like we've always done, no soot from that or the thread of the wideband so hopefully will be ok on Sunday, think im just nervous as im used to carb and dizzy dyno setups, not new EFI aha. 

It'll be fine as long as the paste doesn't crack, the best way to avoid that is either a flexi in the exhaust or replace it eventually with a flexible sealant. Its not the first few miles you need to be worried about, its when you've had it fitted a while and the hard paste cracks and lets air in if you haven't a flexi in the exhaust. The ECU learns from the Lambda settings and continually adjusts the mixture. Just keep an eye on the joint.

Edit: You can adjust in the software how much it adjusts the mixture by (as a percentage) to stop it getting too far from the map.

Edited by Northernpower, 06 July 2017 - 09:59 AM.

#27 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the advice...so i have the six pin plug as i said from sc. But the lambda sensor is a 4 cable magneti marelli slp4100. I bought this believing it to be wide band....however since Sc has said that it is probably narrow band as it only has four wires. ( black, slate and 2 white for heater)...any ideas? Tried to find out but no success so far. Just been looking at the ignition advanced map...it appears to have a range from 18 degrees at idle to 50.... I am assume that the real advance is half these figures...."waste spark!?" any comments? Last question for now....what kind of voltage am i looking for on the lambda settings....too rich...too lean..?...must say the delta programme is no where near as easy as SC initially said it was. I am not a complete beginner with computer...programming nor minis.. Maybe this package should be sold with a health warning...!:) plus many of the maps i have from different places...all seem to be the same as the Sc mild tune.. With kent 296 cam in the title..makes me wonder...? Does anyone have any other maps...for 1293, sw7 cam, mild polished head. Lcb into rc40?

Thanks for anyone with any comments or continued help, support

I can't help you with the Magneti Marelli sensor but I forgot to mention when you do fit the lambda you need to fit an inline fuse in the live feed from pin 2 (white) otherwise if it does short it will damage the ECU.

#28 Ann-Wilson

Ann-Wilson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Will 5 amp fuse be ok?

#29 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

Will 5 amp fuse be ok?

If it were the Bosch one SC use I would say its fine (their spec is a 5 amp blade), the problem I have is the spec for your Lambda looks significantly different to the Bosch one.

I don't know how the ECU and rest of the wiring from the ECU through the Aux plug will stand up to the exta current required by the Magneti Marelli sensor. A concern would be the heater, on the Bosch it draws only 7.5w but the minimum on the Magneti Marelli is 14w running to a max value of 41.4w. I haven't had time to look at what the other values are but I would be reluctant to plug the sensor into the ECU without clarification of all the values. Others on here may know more.

#30 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

I've got the SC wideband with the MPi/ SPi connector and literally just connected it to the loom, do you know if this needed the fuse? I assumed as the car had a narrowband before then the wiring was literally just plug and play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users