#1 Tags

Tags

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:37 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a 1996 spi which I've just started stripping down and cutting out all the rust. When i get round to rebuilding it i would like to convert it to run on carbs.

I've read a few different posts saying you can put an older engine into a newer car, change the engine number on the v5 and get the emissions test based on the age of the engine.

Can anyone confirm once and for all that if i put an older carbed engine into the 96 shell will the emissions test be based on the car or the older engine?

I would like to know before i get too invested in this car whether i should just sell it on and buy an older one.

Many thanks

#2 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment, I have a 1996 spi that I have fitted twin carbs to but it is running a 1985 MG metro engine. It's not ready for the MOT yet so I still don't know if it will be allowed to go through on the 1985 emissions test!
If anyone knows for sure how the emissions test laws work that would be very helpful!!

#3 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

You just need to prove the age of the engine to the tester.

#4 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

http://www.ukmot.com...-Spark-Ignition

the emissions test will be based on whichever is older - the engine or the car

the difficulty would be proving the engine is older, to make it bullet proof I would get a copy of the V5 that the donor engine came from, this would prove the age. You would also need to change the engine number on your V5

#5 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

And get a classic friendly garage!

#6 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

To answer the OP's question they would still have to take the original emissions test because they are rebuilding the original engine not swapping to an older carb engine.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

As far as I'm aware the tester gets the emissions standard  via the DVLA recording system. Ivan is correct, it would be up to you to satisfy the DVLA and get the V5 record changed. From previous topics, they ask for a letter from the garage that fitted the new engine O_O. Maybe you could ask your MoT tester for a written inspection report well before the test is due, especially if they are familiar with Minis.

#8 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

To answer the OP's question they would still have to take the original emissions test because they are rebuilding the original engine not swapping to an older carb engine.

That's not what the op says, rebuilding the 96 body but fitting an "older carbed engine", not fitting carbs to the 96 engine.

Edited by CityEPete, 24 April 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#9 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

This is very helpful thanks guys! How would you prove to the tester that the car is fitted with an older engine? Is a printout of the 'Guess Works' website for that engine acceptable?

#10 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

I'd print one out and call in to the MOT place and ask them, I'd imagine the difference between testers will be the biggest issue, I wouldn't even take a mini to Kwik Fit for example.

#11 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

That's not what the op says, rebuilding the 96 body but fitting an "older carbed engine", not fitting carbs to the 96 engine.

ah I see, I missed that bit and just saw "When i get round to rebuilding it i would like to convert it to run on carbs" which I assumed was talking about just the engine.

#12 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Also depens on what side the mot'er got out of bed and what mood he's in. my mot station one guy a 4x4 bloke and a hater of minis mind and the other a ex mini guy, both good guy's but there own opinions. 

#13 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

Okay, so I need to find myself a nice and friendly mot centre then!

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

As I said (unless a tester wants to correct  me?) the emissions results go to VOSA as part of recording the test, so need to be below what's on the system for your car. Unless the tester gets "confused" and puts the probe up the wrong exhaust pipe  :mmkay:.

You need to convince the DVLA to change the engine on the V5 to change the emissions standard before you tip up for an MoT. They'll want evidence from an "expert" who's seen what's under your bonnet.

#15 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Would a garage count as an "expert"?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users