#1 mini-reub

mini-reub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

Hey everyone,

I've recently rebuilt my 998 Mayfair engine, now when I depress the clutch, there's a terrrible squeeling noise coming from the clutch side of the engine, and the engine revs slow and it eventually stalls. Out of gear, the engine runs smooth with no odd noises. It's got a new clutch and new release bearing, I also set the primary gear endfloat.

When I rebuilt it, I checked and rechecked the idler gear end float with a DTI, it was 0.006" and has new idler gear bearings. I also checked that it span freely when the transfer case was attached.

Please help! Could it be a problem with the clutch, or does the engine need to come out?

Edited by mini-reub, 21 April 2017 - 08:19 AM.

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

I'm assuming it's pre verto, when you set the adjustment on the clutch, did you set the end stop with the two nuts to stop the arm depressing too far?

#3 mini-reub

mini-reub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

It's a 1989 Mayfair, so new verto clutch with new slave. I set the clearance between the clutch housing and the stop bolt to 6mm. The noise starts as soon as any pressure is applied to the clutch pedal.

Edited by mini-reub, 21 April 2017 - 07:58 AM.

#4 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

More than likely the throw-out/release bearing. There are different top-hat types too, but the changes were to reduce ringing noises rather than squealing.

#5 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

It sounds like the release bearing, was it a new? I'd take the wok off and check it spins freely and then spin it with your fingers applying pressure.

#6 mini-reub

mini-reub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

OK thanks guys, yes the release bearing is brand new. I'll take the wok off and see what I find - maybe I've assembled it wrong.

#7 mini-reub

mini-reub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

Is it possible that the release bearing has been damaged by something earthing through it? I do have an earth strap attached to the wok. The bearing is new and I don't recall any problems with it when I fitted it.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

More worrying is the fact that the engine slows then stalls.
This normally indicates a high end load on the crankshaft thrust bearings and it needs investigating before the thrust bearings are trashed.

#9 mini-reub

mini-reub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

Would a seized release bearing not cause the revs to drop cooperman? The engine doesn't take a lot to stall, the fuelling and timing haven't been setup yet.

The revs drop when the clutch is initially pressed, then recover as the clutch is pressed further in. The squeeling however, get worse the harder I press.

I checked the crank endfloat, and primary gear endfloat several times with a DTI on assembly.

Edited by mini-reub, 21 April 2017 - 10:45 AM.

#10 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

Are the thrust bearings fitted theright wayround?
Ditto for the release bearing?

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,378 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

Noise with little pressure suggests release bearing. As the clutch releases it no longer has the bits of the gearbox to drive and the contact between the top hat and pressure plate will change. If there's a definite change point, I'd guess that's when the top hat starts slipping.

I can't see how anything would earth through it, it's inside one huge chunk of metal, unless you mean before it was fitted.

#12 mini-reub

mini-reub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

All good things to check guys, thanks for much for your help. I'll take the clutch release mechanism and cover apart, and report back.

#13 mini-reub

mini-reub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:22 AM

I've worked it out. I had fitted the clutch release bearing back to front, so instead of the bearing race pushing on the cup, the metal retainer was pushing on it! What a stupid mistake!

Thanks everyone for your help :)

#14 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

I've worked it out. I had fitted the clutch release bearing back to front, so instead of the bearing race pushing on the cup, the metal retainer was pushing on it! What a stupid mistake!

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Its great you've sorted it. Its nice when it turns out to be something so simple as an assembly issue and you're not having to take it out again. :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users