10 replies to this topic

#1 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

I'm thinking of moving the fuel tank for more capacity so I was wondering what other people have done? I was thinking central in the boot but then remembered about the spare tyre so I was wondering instead about removing the back seats and putting it there? Anyone got any other suggestions or advice?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

you don't want to put it in the passenger compartment.

just fit the larger tank (if you don't have it already or fit a RH tank.

#3 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:06 AM   Best Answer

Much less hassle and safer to get a twin tank fitted.

#4 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

Thank you, I'll look into that then.

#5 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

Didn't realise how expensive they are!

#6 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

moneys no object with petrol as would not want to be burnt alive, like fitting a cut of switch witha electric fule pump for if you roll or smash the thing.

#7 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

True, not something to mess with

#8 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:41 AM

If you were willing to consider putting the fuel tank in the rear passenger compartment - why not fill the boot with a nice high quality fuel cell, and then move the spare into the passenger area instead? I personally would go with the twin tanks, but if you must have huge fuel capacity, put the spare in the rear seating area instead freeing the whole boot for a fuel cell.

Dave

#9 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

If you were willing to consider putting the fuel tank in the rear passenger compartment - why not fill the boot with a nice high quality fuel cell, and then move the spare into the passenger area instead? I personally would go with the twin tanks, but if you must have huge fuel capacity, put the spare in the rear seating area instead freeing the whole boot for a fuel cell.

Dave

It was just because I go and see my Mum in France every now and then and I'd like to start driving there so a bigger tank would be a benefit, but yeah I think I'll look into the twin tanks.

#10 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

With the twin tanks you are only fitting what was a standard well-proven option on certain models, so when you tell the insurance company, as you must with a mod like that, it should be a lot less hassle than if you have done something non standard.

You also have the option of installing solenoid or manual valves so that you can run on one tank or the other, so you can keep a reserve in one until the other runs out. I used to have an old car that gave the same effect with a single tank, having two dip tubes of different lengths and a solenoid valve, so when the main supply ran out, you flipped a switch and had access to the last couple of gallons in the bottom. Very useful in avoiding embarrassing situations.

#11 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

With the twin tanks you are only fitting what was a standard well-proven option on certain models, so when you tell the insurance company, as you must with a mod like that, it should be a lot less hassle than if you have done something non standard.

You also have the option of installing solenoid or manual valves so that you can run on one tank or the other, so you can keep a reserve in one until the other runs out. I used to have an old car that gave the same effect with a single tank, having two dip tubes of different lengths and a solenoid valve, so when the main supply ran out, you flipped a switch and had access to the last couple of gallons in the bottom. Very useful in avoiding embarrassing situations.

Sounds good! I've started a new topic about what to do on a new build so I can add that to the list. Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users