3 replies to this topic

#1 elf66

elf66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

Is it really worth the extra for heritage skins?

I'm tempted to go for Minispares (Magnum) skins but a little concerned about the quality of copy panels. The last thing i want to do is to use filler to hide any ripples!

Likewise are the panel gaps using Magnum skins any different to Heritage panels. 

thanks

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:47 PM

I used magnum skins on my mk1 and mk2 and had very little problem getting a good door gap, the handle holes may need a little fettle to get them to align with the inner catch but other than that they are fine, I have seen other projects with heritage skins have to do similar work. I would use them again. I also used magnum rear quarters and had no issues with those and that was a massive saving over heritage.
This is a picture before I finalised fit

265DECDA-2157-489F-A9BC-C6BDF4B68BAC.jpg

#3 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

Even heritage door skins are a little on the large side and need fettling and complete heritage doors don`t fit well either on early cars.

The magnum panels are a little thinner and don`t have the anti corrosive coating that the heritage stuff does.

On early cars the only way to get a trouble free fit is with NOS panels but its unlikely you will find them.

If the skins are only corroded in a few small places I would personally repair the skins you have.

On later cars the Mk3 on heritage doors and skins fit very well but thats no use to you of course.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:20 PM

I've just used Magnum door skins on my 1964 850 and they have fitted fine. Just make sure you do a trial fit before final spraying as you may need to make some small adjustments, which are not difficult.

It is the case that if you are fairly good at doing bodywork then pattern panels can be a cost-effective solution the 'the dreaded rust', but if you struggle with panel work then it is best to stick with Heritage panels to prevent having to do the necessary 'adjustments'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users