#1 AlfieHopkins

AlfieHopkins

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

Hey Everyone, 

I've recently brought a 1998 Rover Mini MPI.

However the person who had it before me has messed with the suspension somewhat.

Its probably also helpful to know that im running 13 inch wheels with 165/65 13 tires on them all round.

In a poor attempt to lower it at some point there is now a few problems, and me being unfamiliar with the type of suspension i have no idea where to start.

First off the N/S Rear sits loads higher that the rest of the wheels (by about 20mm, 90-100mm from the wheel arch)

The O/S Rear Sits about right, or at least what i assume is right (75mm ish from the wheel arch to the top of the tire)

Now thats not really the problem.

The big problem is with the front of the car, both sides sit about 20mm from the top of the tire to the arches! Causing alot of noise when going over bumps and even when turning (where the wheel touches the arch) and im also assuming that it is hitting the bumpstops every ten seconds.

The shocks on the back are standard and the front ones are GMAX (which i think are used to lower by 20mm??)

I am also not sure if it is running HILOs or anything of that nature, i do know that is isn't running a coil spring conversion though.

any help would be appreciated on what to do to set it all up correctly, weather its best to buy all new parts and return what i dont need if i already have it ect. then i can get it tracked and have some proper fun in it :) 

#2 1968andyf

1968andyf

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

If one wheel is so different i would check the knuckle joints first . But buy a haynes manual whitch will show you the components and how they fit together

#3 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

Sounds like your gonna need new donuts. Time consuming but not hard job and you need the tool for the front.

#4 AlfieHopkins

AlfieHopkins

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

thanks for the replies, i already have the tool which tells me that hes either replaced them or was going too replace them at some point but doesn't tell me why its sitting so low. im thinking about changing the whole lot now, new cones, trumpets, knuckles ect, then getting it set up properly, i don't really want to be throwing one of the most important things on the car together. 

#5 AlfieHopkins

AlfieHopkins

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

can anyone recommend me some parts to get?

i was looking at this (http://www.minispare...r-classic-mini/) as a starting point, is there any other parts that i would need apart from the donuts?

#6 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

4 genuine donuts and 4 genuine knuckles would t buy anything else without having a look what you have. Chances are you may have hilos already

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

Those are the wrong size tires as well. Should be 175/50/13, yours must look massive!!

#8 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

Jack it up and whip one of your front wheels off will be easy to see if you have hilos if in doubt pop a pic up.

#9 AlfieHopkins

AlfieHopkins

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

i was being silly, i actually have 12 inch wheels and the tires are 165/60 12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users