89 replies to this topic

#1 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

Hey all, I have been on here for a little while.  I've been checking out other peoples builds and getting pointers on problems I've had in my project, and have decided it is probably time to start a thread of my own.  So without further ado here are the stats on the car, and what is in the works or planned for the future.

1975 Leyland Mini

998cc

RHD

Stock everything

Project goals:

Stage 1 

Hi/Los

Interior refresh

Paint (maybe this upcoming winter)

Wheels

...Lots of other goodies too!

So far, as it is sitting now in my garage on jack stands.  I have installed the front suspension upgrades (Hi/Los, shocks, new ball joints, etc.)  I've also installed a new thermostat, retrosport thermostat housing, rebuilt the carb, cleaned the engine bay, and am about 85% done installing the stage 1 kit.  I need to button up some odds and ends in the front end, and install the wired by wilson headlight loom that I ordered.  I will try and update this as often as I have an opportunity to work on the car.  With 4 kids my time is limited to say the least.  Anyway, here are some pictures of the car, and if you have any comments please feel free to share.  I've modded several new age vehicles, but this is the first old car I've worked on and I'm enjoying learning new things.

IMG_0970_zpskmynwqa5.jpg

You can see there has been a repair done on the door area because the paint doesn't match.  Looking forward to getting it painted this winter.

IMG_9568_zpsyfczmami.jpg

IMG_9623%202_zpsxsvgjmkk.jpg

IMG_9553_zpsabzakgmb.jpg

IMG_9758_zpsgr8fpuyg.jpg

Rear Seat Recovered, first time I've ever done something like that and I think it came out alright!

50085338201__8C465B9A-75DF-4B26-B7A5-3AE

Thermostat housing wouldn't come off, so I had read that a lot of you just take a sledge hammer to it.  I've gotta say, I'd never imagined taking

a sledge hammer to a motor before.  It worked like a charm, except I broke one of the studs and had to drill it out.  Luckily no damage was done.

IMG_8912_zpsiqamlsdh.jpg

Before and after the carb rebuild.  I know I could get the pot to shine a lot better, but honestly I didn't feel like taking the time right now.  I would like to get the car out

on the road this year!  Hahaha.

#2 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

Your Mini is gorgeous and looks so original! I quite like the black on black back seat with the cloth centres. 

Given the shiny carb, I think we need to see some pictures of the engine bay after you fitted it and the retrosport thermostat housing :) 

#3 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:10 PM

I will post pics of the engine bay soon.  Just trying to tidy up a few things and install a few other small details.  I'd love to try and keep the paint more "original" instead of going all out on a full respray, but I am a bit OCD and the door discoloration really bothers me.  

#4 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

Random question for those of you that have rebuilt a carb.  What is the best starting point as far as the jet adjuster nut?  Just don't want it to be way off when I fire the car up and screw something up.

#5 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Random question for those of you that have rebuilt a carb.  What is the best starting point as far as the jet adjuster nut?  Just don't want it to be way off when I fire the car up and screw something up.

In the original SU set up manual it advised setting the top of the jet level with the body and then lowering it two full turns.

#6 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

In the original SU set up manual it advised setting the top of the jet level with the body and then lowering it two full turns.

Thank you much!!  

#7 JamesC

JamesC

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

Cool car, needs new wheels! Following.

#8 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

I've got these babies getting refinished, and I think they are going to look fantastic.  Looking forward to posting pics when they are done.

17036677_10155163595782642_1456110541_o_

17036726_10155163592342642_1925510505_o_

#9 JamesC

JamesC

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

I've got these babies getting refinished, and I think they are going to look fantastic.  Looking forward to posting pics when they are done.
17036677_10155163595782642_1456110541_o_

17036726_10155163592342642_1925510505_o_

Cool, what colour will the car be once finished?

Edited by JamesC, 02 May 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#10 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

Still debating on the final car color.  Maybe I should do a poll?  I've asked my kids and wife and they all think something different, but the options are:

Roof/Body

White/White

Black/White

White/Grey

Black/Grey

But for now the wheels will match the white/white theme, and I think they would go well with the black/grey theme.  The wheels are being powder coated next week, and I'll show them when 

they are finished.  I'd go with a wild color, but I've kind of decided to try and keep this somewhat original looking.  But of course ideas change as time goes on.  LOL.

#11 JamesC

JamesC

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

Still debating on the final car color.  Maybe I should do a poll?  I've asked my kids and wife and they all think something different, but the options are:

Roof/Body

White/White
Black/White
White/Grey
Black/Grey

But for now the wheels will match the white/white theme, and I think they would go well with the black/grey theme.  The wheels are being powder coated next week, and I'll show them when 
they are finished.  I'd go with a wild color, but I've kind of decided to try and keep this somewhat original looking.  But of course ideas change as time goes on.  LOL.

I could see black and grey. It's different. Have you got a car in mind that your taking inspiration from?

#12 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

I've got a couple cars I like the look of, but I have been thinking of going with this new color from a 2017 Tacoma as the grey.

toyota-taco-supreme-11-1.jpg

#13 JamesC

JamesC

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

I've got a couple cars I like the look of, but I have been thinking of going with this new color from a 2017 Tacoma as the grey.
toyota-taco-supreme-11-1.jpg

Nice, looks similar to Tweed Grey.

#14 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

Tweed Grey is my favorite grey out of the classic colors.  But I'm still torn....good thing I have until fall to decide.  HAHA.

#15 Syma

Syma

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:17 AM

I really like that grey. the new Jeep renegade comes in a grey with a slit blue tone that is also really nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users