28 replies to this topic

#16 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:09 AM

When you fitted yours did you weld plates either side of the sills? I've been looking at a few cars and some have plates on the underside...some don't. I don't have my blue book to hand at the moment.

Thanks.

I fitted mine inside. I know what the Blue book states, and i'm not arguing that point, but in my eyes a plate on the inside offers a better solution, and in the event of a roll over the plate is being pushed down into the floor and inner sill panel - so stronger (IN MY OPINION).  Also, although the rear bin makes life a little harder, welding plates inside is easier as you are welding downwards (although if you have a spit then the same could be said for outside).

#17 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

I agree with Dave, its far easier to weld the plates in after removing the bins

You can always tack them back in afterwards if your looking for originality

#18 Tim the Fireman

Tim the Fireman

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

If you have any questions about preparing a car for motorsport, go to the licensed officials section of the blue book and contact your friendly local Scrutineer! We would much rather give you guidance at the build up stage, than have to give you a list of things to do at your first event!

TTFN

Tim

#19 MIJ

MIJ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

Unfortunately haven't had chance to get it in yet. I plan to do most of the work myself and then get our friend who builds race cars to weld in the plates for me.
As he has a four poster the plates will be going on the outside of the sill then he'll weld on the ramp.

Thanks for the comment on the car rally1380. It's been a slow process but finally getting there. Hopefully if all goes to plan I'll be out on the tour of Cheshire next year, or if a miracle happens the clwyd vale this year which is my 'home' event.

Cheers

#20 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the comment on the car rally1380. It's been a slow process but finally getting there. Hopefully if all goes to plan I'll be out on the tour of Cheshire next year, or if a miracle happens the clwyd vale this year which is my 'home' event.

Cheers

No problem....sometimes a bit of encouragement goes a long way and can help move a project along.

ToC is a great first event if you have never done any daytime historic stuff......much more relaxed and no car breaking tests.  Oh, and my motorclub run it!!!!

VoCC - brilliant event. Guy woodcock certainly knows how to put on a rally.  I've competed on it three times now and had a blast every time.....best result being 4th overall in 2015.

The HRCR clubmans road rallies are great fun and you will have a blast in the mini.....hopefully i'll be back out at some point in 2018 in mine.

Lastly though - the navigator is far more important on this style of event than the car.  If you have a fully functioning car, get out and compete (cage or no cage) and start to learn how these events work. 90% of the competitive time is at fairly slow average speeds on the open road, so you could have a fire breathing RS2000 (or whatever) with all the works trick bits throwing out 200BHP+, but you will still be asked to travel at fairly slow speeds......accuracy of plotting, navigation and timing is key....not the car.   Soooo........my point is, enter this year...ha ha.

#21 MIJ

MIJ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

Thanks, yeah we spectate on the toc every year, beeston looks a great test and lots of fun! I've previously done stage rallying and a bit of auto testing so I hope that will stand me in good stead! We will see about this year fingers crossed we can get out and have a go!

#22 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Thanks, yeah we spectate on the toc every year, beeston looks a great test and lots of fun! I've previously done stage rallying and a bit of auto testing so I hope that will stand me in good stead! We will see about this year fingers crossed we can get out and have a go!

Beeston this year was great fun!! ;D

#23 MIJ

MIJ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

Beeston this year was great fun!! ;D

It looked it!

#24 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

I'm in the process of fitting my SD multi point cage. There's no way this would go in with the bins in! There's also no chance of using a ratchet strap either!

Attached File  Small20170619_144550.jpg   55.17K   12 downloads

#25 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

Another view

Attached Files

#26 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

• Members
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

Give Cyclone Racing a call or message, they have fot many cages to minis https://www.facebook.com/cyclonerace/

#27 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

I remember being at the Brands "Race of the Champions" in the late 60's, where the scrutineer was making American entrants saw through their roll cages because the cage was deemed to add unfair stiffness to the shell.  !!!

#28 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:19 PM

Give Cyclone Racing a call or message, they have fot many cages to minis https://www.facebook.com/cyclonerace/

i am sure they will have sorted in the year since the last post.

#29 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

• Members
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

That’s just insane!

I remember being at the Brands "Race of the Champions" in the late 60's, where the scrutineer was making American entrants saw through their roll cages because the cage was deemed to add unfair stiffness to the shell. !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users