14 replies to this topic

#1 Sophie123.d

Sophie123.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hi I'm new to this, I've installed a stereo in my 1991 mini rover. To begin with my stereo would turn off when I put my headlights on but now neither my stereo or headlights are turning on, anyone know what could be the problem?
Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find any answers

#2 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Local Club: Minifreaks

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Hi dude
Firstly disconnect the stereo and make sure the wiring for the car is back as it was before you go any further.
Next check the fuse for the lights it should be the bottom fuse, number 7 and 8 if you have only 4 fuses like i do.
If blown replace fuse, try lights and make sure they now work, if good then proceed with the next section.

Next look at stereo it should have a red and a yellow these are both a 12 v source but one is connected to a permanent live the other to a switchable live, the radio info should tell you which wire is which and your black wire from stereo is the earth.
The permanent live is to allow storage of you radio stations etc.
The switchable live will turn the radio on and off with ignition.
Ok now get a test lead or a bulb with two wires attached and connect one wire from the bulb to an earth point close to the fuse box but not in the fuse box
Next with the ignition off key out,take the other lead from bulb and touch the end of the bare wire to the top right fuse terminal, if the bulb lights then this is where you conect your permanent live for the stereo probably yellow wire from stereo.
Next insert ignition key and turn to first position only,as before take your wire from bulb and touch the next terminal down on fuse box if the bulb lights this could be your switchable live but to find out leave the wire attached and turn the ignition key off-if the bulb goes out then this is your switchable live if The bulb stays on then its not.
Try third terminal down,same again attach wire,turn key on,if bulb lights,then turn the key off if bulb goes out this is then your switchable live and this is where to attach the other 12v wire from stereo probably the red
Once you have established the live and switchable live you just need to connect your black to a good earth point of the main body,
Never connect a stereo to anything other than a fuse box and earth
If you cant follow this then PM me and i will give you my number to call.
Regards
Rapidmini59

Edited by Rapidmini59, 28 April 2017 - 04:55 AM.

#3 Sophie123.d

Sophie123.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the reply! I've now got my lights working but when I connect my stereo the lights only come on for a split second and then turn off again?

Edited by Sophie123.d, 27 April 2017 - 05:21 PM.

#4 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

It sounds like you have a major short somewhere.

Is the stereo new or from another vehicle.

Where are you connecting the stereo.

Has the wiring loom to the car been damaged.

Need more info im afraid.

Edited by Rapidmini59, 27 April 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#5 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

There are NOT two fuses for the headlights. This comes up again, and again and again ad infinitum.

There could have been if the dip switch was double pole, but as it isn't, the only legal way of fusing them is by separate switches for each main and dip, left and right, totalling 4 fuses. You must never have a single fuse feeding a pair of headlights. The 4 fuses are usually the in-line type.

There are, on later models, separate fuses for left and right side/tail lights.

#6 Sophie123.d

Sophie123.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

The stereo is new, I'm connecting permanent live to 4th fuse and switched live to 5th fuse? Lights seem to be okay now, it's just when I connect the stereo they don't turn on? Am I connecting the stereo to the wrong fuses?
The wiring loom hasn't been damaged

Edited by Sophie123.d, 27 April 2017 - 08:15 PM.

#7 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

There are NOT two fuses for the headlights. This comes up again, and again and again ad infinitum.

There could have been if the dip switch was double pole, but as it isn't, the only legal way of fusing them is by separate switches for each main and dip, left and right, totalling 4 fuses. You must never have a single fuse feeding a pair of headlights. The 4 fuses are usually the in-line type.

There are, on later models, separate fuses for left and right side/tail lights.

Who said anything about two fuses I DIDNT.

#8 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

Yes sophie
Wired wrong
Permanent needs to go to top right only
Next one down on right is for the switchable.
And just need a good earth - which is black
Hope this helps
Regards
Rapidmini59

#9 Sophie123.d

Sophie123.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

Okay thank you rapidmini59, I'll change it tomorrow.
Thanks a lot

#10 Sophie123.d

Sophie123.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

Okay so I've removed the stereo wiring for now, my headlights worked last night but I tried them again today and nothing. I haven't touched any of the wiring for my headlights, I've checked the fuses and they are all fine. Don't understand why they aren't working, they worked fine before the installation of my stereo and now I've removed the stereo surely the headlight should be working like they were before?

#11 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

Well they should be but nothing is ever straight forward in the wonderful world of minis.
I can only suggest at the moment that you check each of the individual connections and each wire, checking that there is no damaged wires and no connections touching earth that shouldnt be.
Then check the earthing for the wiring loom on each of the lights.
There must be something causing a short.
Do you have another switch as the switch could have gone faulty.
Let me know what you find.
Regards

#12 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

Rapidmini59, actually you DID:

Next check the fuse for the lights it should be the bottom fuse, number 7 and 8 if you have only 4 fuses like i do.
If blown replace fuse, try lights and make sure they now work, if good then proceed with the next section.

Fuses 7 and 8, in my arithmetic makes 2 fuses, and the OP specifically mentioned HEADLIGHTS.

The problem now will lie in the BROWN feed from the incoming terminal of the starter solenoid to the light switch, as that is the only thing that will take out all lights. However if you get side/tail/dash or some of them. the fault is that the outgoing BLUE wire from the main light switch to the dip switch has a problem. I am making an intelligent guess, the wire was pulled off a terminal and went back on with the terminal blade inside the insulating sleeve but not within the gripping part of the female terminal, easily done. Or, you had the light switch out, and put it back in upside down, or with its connector reversed. We have all done stuff like that.

As to your audio equipment, as the fuse arrangements on Minis varied over the years, the safest thing to go by is wire colour. Find the fuse that has BROWN on one side and PURPLE on the other. Purple is a fused permanently live, and should go to the radio's backup supply, via a small inline fuse. Now find the bunch of WHITE wires at the ignition switch and take your main feed from there via an inline fuse, which should be supplied with the radio equipment. If your ignition switch has an accessory position, live at the first click, before the ignition is on, use that instead.

If you want the radio on with no key in the ignition, you need to take both feeds from the PURPLE, but that is not recommended as the radio can be left on by accident, resulting in a flat battery.

The reason for your problems is most likely that when disturbing old wiring it is easy to have terminals come off, un-noticed. But you may also have corroded wires at the terminals, which will need to be shortened and re-crimped WITH THE PROPER RATCHET TOOL, not the usual cheap, nasty thing that always results in unreliable joints.

#13 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

Hi tiger.
Ok thanks for the correction.
I did say I only had four fuses.
But had issues trying to make it easier for sophie to understand.

The original post stated 'headlights and stereo not working after installing stereo', so thought i could help with the stereo part.

Appologies if i caused offence.
Regards
Rapidmini59

Edited by Rapidmini59, 30 April 2017 - 07:53 AM.

#14 Sophie123.d

Sophie123.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:01 PM

After getting no where with the stereo install and more electircs were faulting, I finally gave in and took the mini to a garage. turns out the fuse box was faulty, it's now been replaced with a nice new one. stereo is finally going in tomorrow, fingers crossed.

#15 Rapidmini59

Rapidmini59

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

Excellent news

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users