17 replies to this topic

#16 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:49 PM

My information came from several reports of failures on this forum some time ago. However, if they are showing cracks when new, that is most unsatisfactory. But looking at them as advertised, they appear to have been plated, so hydrogen embrittlement may play a part, and will most likely not be alleviated by grinding out the cracks and welding.

Leaving aside any problems with any specific supplier, stressed parts that have been electroplated are almost always bad news, and not just on cars, unless the plating and aftertreatment were performed to a proper, approved process with strict quality control. Hot dip galvanising and arc spraying are much safer. Namrick used to warn of the limitations of electroplated bolts on their web site.

#17 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

My information came from several reports of failures on this forum some time ago. However, if they are showing cracks when new, that is most unsatisfactory. But looking at them as advertised, they appear to have been plated, so hydrogen embrittlement may play a part, and will most likely not be alleviated by grinding out the cracks and welding.

Leaving aside any problems with any specific supplier, stressed parts that have been electroplated are almost always bad news, and not just on cars, unless the plating and aftertreatment were performed to a proper, approved process with strict quality control. Hot dip galvanising and arc spraying are much safer. Namrick used to warn of the limitations of electroplated bolts on their web site.

I would suggest then when you take it upon yourself to make a bold/rash statement that you back it up immediately with your proof and not leave it hanging in the air for multiple weeks. Either quote directly from the thread (link it ) in question ensuring that is actually correct or a definitive proved link from elsewhere.

Your only saving grace here is we have technical issues that are being looked into otherwise you would have had the warning point added.

This is the last time i will remind you, the next time we will take action.

#18 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:03 PM

The cracks I found on mine were very small, the biggest issue I had was how the serrated plate was mounted to the bracket. It was fixed with four spot welds. I cut off the serrated plate and the part of the bracket that it was spotted to, I removed the bracket part then seam welded the serrated plate back into the bracket thus moving it inwards so that a spring washer and nut could be fully threaded onto the trailing arm pin when it was fitted to the car. It was only then that we found the hole that the pin goes through was a lot larger than the dia of the pin. this meant when the mechanics that were setting up the suspension on the alignment jig and tightening up the nut on the pin then the suspension final setting kept changing. It took several attempts to get the settings I wanted, if the hole was a tight fit on the pin then this wouldn't have been a problem. I feel that the simple design is a good one it's just not all that well made and I will be replacing them at some point. The KAD ones look similar in design but are probably of a far better quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users