Surely the registration tells you that?

#4 b_sdaddy

b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

When watching 'classic car' programmes, I've seen the presenters going on about 'matching numbers'.

Is there such thing in mini-world.?

Obviously, due to nature of the beast, mini's are invariably messed-around with over the course of their lives: so a VIN number & engine number could possibly not be the same 'pair' as when the vehicle left the factory.

Needless to say, proof of any of these two plates being present @ time of manufacture is point of discussion.

Seen many an 'aged' plate.

#5 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

If you're clever, you can date the car's build to within a week, just by looking at the chassis/VIN serial number. However, to do that, you'd need masses of records collated over the years from other cars to work out the date range.
I don't believe such complete records exist in one place; British Motor Heritage of course have the majority of build records but their information is patchy, with years and years worth of records missing.
I think the Mini Cooper Register can accurately date a vehicle by the records they've accumulated over the years, too.
The body number can also date the 'shell. Again, you'd need access to the original records or a host of collected information.

The Commision number and FE (front end), F (floor assembly) numbers can also roughly date a bodyshell, but these sub-assembly numbers were never officially recorded and only of use to someone comparing numbers to an original car of the same-ish era.

As for matching numbers.. well I suppose you could argue that the chassis number is in the same age range as the commission number.. and the body number also tallys up to that approximate period, but not a lot can be proven unless you have a heritage certificate in front of you with the exact same figures.
It's a minefield really..

#6 Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

Surely the registration tells you that?

Yes, it's S reg. March 1978. But if I can prove the date of build is older I can claim free road tax... Cheers

#7 Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for your excellent response... I'll have to wait another year 😞

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users