Photo
- - - - -

Missing Bolt?

Best Answer RooBoonix , 29 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

There should be a locating dowel in there, if you try and put a bolt in you will find there is no thread and it won't go in very far. Nothing missing there, unless the dowel itself is missing which isn't really an issue.

Edit, this is assuming that is the front of the Speedo drive housing which I am 99% sure it is. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

It looks like I'm missing a bolt, I just want to check it's not a hole for a locking pin or something?

33525808063_56bb435d87_k.jpg

Is the bolt one of them in this kit?

http://www.minispare...ic/MSSK060.aspx

#2 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:01 AM   Best Answer

There should be a locating dowel in there, if you try and put a bolt in you will find there is no thread and it won't go in very far. Nothing missing there, unless the dowel itself is missing which isn't really an issue.

Edit, this is assuming that is the front of the Speedo drive housing which I am 99% sure it is.

Edited by RooBoonix, 29 April 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#3 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

A missing dowel actually would be an issue, as it is there for a very necessary reason. But they almost never fall out. It will be there. You can easily feel for the end of it with a screwdriver or piece of wire and confirm that it is protruding into the removable casting.

#4 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

A missing dowel actually would be an issue, as it is there for a very necessary reason. But they almost never fall out. It will be there. You can easily feel for the end of it with a screwdriver or piece of wire and confirm that it is protruding into the removable casting.

Providing all the bolts around it are secure and the gasket is correctly positioned I see absolutely no reason why it would be an issue. The casing itself should rely on the dowel holding it in place. Please explain why you believe it would be an issue?

Obviously it should be there and it shouldn't fall out as I believe the dowels are of a larger diameter in the gearbox casing, with a step down to the smaller diameter in the Speedo housing.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

the two Dowels are there to make sure the speedo drive is correctly aligned.

next time you have it off have a look.

#6 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

The reason it would be an issue, like all the other dowelled joints such as engine to gearbox, transfer case to box, etc, is that the dowels can only fall out when the thing is apart, so if they really had fallen out there would be absolutely nothing to ensure correct alignment on reassembly. The bolts have a great deal of clearance in their holes, not good enough where alignment of internal moving parts is involved.

But it is, as I said, so very easy to feel for the end of the dowel that it is trivial to prove that the problem is non-existent, as is usually the case.

By the way, these dowel holes fool almost everyone at first. I was just as puzzled with my ancient MK 1 van, till I had to take it apart, and saw the dowels, which were a very tight fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users