#1 1968cooper

1968cooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

I have a dilemma and would appreciate TMF reader’s opinions

I have a 1966 countryman estate requiring complete restoration. I am happy to take this on but wonder whether I would use the car once completed!

I repaired and refurbished my 1968 cooper 18 months ago, had it ready for mot but instead of taking it for the test I purchased a cheap 03 diesel bini from the test station and absolutely love driving it!

Now the cooper has sat unused since completion and I wonder if the same would happen to the countryman!

I think my main concern with the cooper was regarding theft, vandalism and unattended parking.

I am thinking the countryman is probably less desirable so possibly less of a target?

Another consideration, probably a completely different topic, is the possible future cost of owning a diesel car, thinking get rid of it quick!!! 

Attached File  DSCN2282.JPG   104.81K   18 downloads

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

Could you restore it to sell?

I'm with you on the whole diesel dilemma. I currently have a A4 derv and love it as it's taken everything i've thrown at/in it!

#3 1968cooper

1968cooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

Although titled repair or sell it would be difficult for me to sell as I have owned the car since1972 and as my Grandmother purchased it for me it has sentimental value as well, how stupid is that?

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

Not really, i'd do the same if it belonged to a family member!

#5 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

I think that maybe you have answered your own question, if you would find it difficult to sell then you really only have one option. Restore it, I feel sure you would feel even worse if you just left it to slowly rot to a point where it is beyond repair.

#6 villa3

villa3

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Local Club: West Sussex mini club

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

Restore it,estates are the rarest now with only about 200 left registered

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

Keep it, restore it and love it. Diesels will not die out overnight. More press hype as usual. If you think of just how many cars currently on the road are oil burners, lorries, taxis etc etc it will take a long time. Early ones maybe without DPF or equivalent maybe but newer no way. 

#8 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

I am thinking the countryman is probably less desirable so possibly less of a target?

Countryman is just as desirable as a Cooper these days and they are probably rarer in number and as most classic cars stand out amongst modern cars they are seen by some as an easy target for theft because of poor locks/security. All Minis are of value now whether complete or in parts so I would restore it but not use it as an everyday car.......save it for weekend fun and trips to events where you know it will be safe and keep your modern MINI as your fun daily driver like I do!

#9 1968cooper

1968cooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

Do you think that after considerable time and expense I will end up with another car I won’t use for fear of theft?

It begs the question what sort of people are we living with in this country now.

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

If you live your life thinking that way then the scumbags have won and you need to live under a rock. 

Harsh, maybe but taking sensible precautions will not hurt you. Yes if the scum want your car then no matter what you do unless you sleep in it they will take it.

Enjoy them for what they are, negative thinking like this means that keeping a classic car is no longer the thing for you.

#11 1968cooper

1968cooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

If you live your life thinking that way then the scumbags have won and you need to live under a rock. 

Harsh, maybe but taking sensible precautions will not hurt you. Yes if the scum want your car then no matter what you do unless you sleep in it they will take it.

You are right that is my problem I try to live under a rock but the scumbags still find me. I had a bad experience a few years ago with a car I had spent two years restoring only to be stolen and torched beyond salvage

#12 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

You are right that is my problem I try to live under a rock but the scumbags still find me. I had a bad experience a few years ago with a car I had spent two years restoring only to be stolen and torched beyond salvage

I saw your post on FB and i have to say that would have done my head in. The thing is not to let that one time take you down.

Easy for me to say i know but i have spent 2 1/2 years on my rebuild so far and not even got to paint, so yes if i lost my car then i would be seriously peeved. BUT i ran that risk with my old RS2000 in the height of Fords growing legs overnight in the early 90's and i did get a tad paranoid.However in the end i got on with it. (i ended up owning that car for nearly 13 years)

I think you know yourself what you need to do and its coming to terms with it. My garage is like Fort Knox, house alarmed etc etc but out and about i do not let my car out of my sight. So yes still paranoid to a degree but if it got taken then my insurance will cover the loss materially and it would not stop me from doing another build.

#13 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

surely if you're that worried about a theft then just consider using this

https://www.trackers...CFUwz0wods68Dsw

you have to either pay for tracking credits/a monthly plan like a contract but if you just activate it when its in an unsecured area it will notify you where the car is. 1 credit is used every time it relays the cars position back to you and you can set it to relay back anywhere from 5 seconds to every hr. set it to every 5 mins and then activate it when you feel you need it and then if someone steals your car you get to track them down liam neeson stylie. I mean heck, go even further and put a wireless voice speaker in there to and then you can find the car and when they are near it talk through it from a distance and be like 'i dont know who you are, but i will find you, and i will kill you!' 

se

#14 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:54 PM

restore it keep it love it , you will always regret not keeping this and using this, if your concerned about some risks of theft or damage or whatever then avoid using it in situations where this could occur .

#15 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

i would say restore and keep as it was a family owned mini since new,,,,,,you will regret selling it

I had to sell my cooper S to buy my house and I have never been able to find a good one ever since and now they are far out of my budget range

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users