14 replies to this topic

#1 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

Ok firstly I know there is a dedicated forum but I e been here for years, and don't want to sign up elsewhere just yet.

Anyone know what the real world MPG of the seconds gen Cooper S is - the ones with a turbo rather than supercharger, please. I see a claimed 40.9 Combined on Autotrader. What are people getting on a 100 mile motorway cruise at 70/80, and what about a quick 20 mile blast? I'm hoping a new job will mean I can cycle to work so hopefully won't need it too much anyway.

I have recently bought a Civic diesel, and might look to move it on. It's a pretty decent car and I quite like it but don't want to get stung with upcoming changes (I'm going to see what the actual impact is before rushing in though). I want something fun and the S, I think, will be that. However, I have a small child and a missus who is not too keen on 3 doors cars. I might be able to sell it though!

If anyone knows something else that's fun, family friendly and relatively recent (safety requirement, mainly), I'm all ears.

#2 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:05 AM

I am not sure I can give an exact breakdown for mine. I use the Road Trip app on my iPhone. I have averaged 38.84 mpg over 13,217 miles.

Recent tank-fills with a lot of motorway driving have given about 41mpg. The best ever tank-fill gave 43.13 mpg. Worst was 33.41 but that was exceptional.

The Clubman version does have the extra door for the rear seats.

#3 PetePinnington

PetePinnington

Formally known as PPinno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

We had the r55 clubman cooper S. When I drove it it averaged about 33mpg as I'm quite a quick driver but when the wife drove it she was getting about 39mpg. I would say the r55 would be the best bet rather than the hatch as they are a bit bigger and the suicide door is very useful! Plus they're still just as fun! Weve got an r53 cooper s now, and average about 22mpg 😂

#4 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Thanks gents. I like the Clubman, but I think the missus likes that even less than she likes the normal 3 door :lol: However, she has said she might not mind too much because she knows I enjoy driving and doesn't want me to be miserable in a boring car! The other problem though is that we only have the funds we can raise from the Civic to put into this, maybe £500 extra at best. we will see what happens. Of course, if the Civic isn't affected by the impending Diesel Doom then we might just be fine. For the performance, cost or running, space and general practicality (not to mention it's a pretty well specced example) it is really hard to justify replacing it otherwise!

#5 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Unless you're driving into the centre of London I wouldn't worry about the recent Diesel bashing news storys.

Even then the changes aren't due in London for a few years.

Other cities may/may not follow suit, but thats even further down the line and less likely.

New diesels are acceptable to any proposals, so given time the problem effectively go's away on it's own as people buy newer less polluting cars.

#6 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

I also ran an R55 Clubman S for a number of years. I do a 40 mile each way commute, mostly motorway, and some around town pootling. I wouldn't claim to be a racer, but I'm no granny either. In my time with the car it averaged 32.54 mpg over 23,500 miles, this is calculated by an app I use as it's far more reliable than the cars calculation. My wife ran a JCW at the same time and on mostly urban driving achieved about 30mpg.

When I sold the Clubman S I went to a Clubman SD which over 42,000 miles did 50.18mpg. Ultimately I always found this car unworthy of the Cooper S badge if I'm honest, and the S was much more rewarding.

#7 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

R3k, I'm not doing anything until I know what is happening. Mine is a 56 plate so only meets Euro 4. I think some of the cities might follow suit pretty quickly to be honest. I'm more concerned about fuel and VED going up significantly. But like I say, I'm going to wait and see. However, the Mrs is also hoping to learn to drive in a few months. That's a perfect excuse for her to have a sensible car and me a toy. If that happens, I'm half tempted to get another mini!

As for the fuel figures, thanks. That doesn't seem too bad really.

#8 casual_james

casual_james

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:06 AM

Just started driving a 2007 Cooper S with the JCW pack. Of the 400 miles I've done in it, its averaging about 34 mpg. Which to be honest it could be doing half that and I would be fine because of how much fun it is. Dont know whether that will change after the honeymoon period though...

#9 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

R3k, I'm not doing anything until I know what is happening. Mine is a 56 plate so only meets Euro 4. I think some of the cities might follow suit pretty quickly to be honest. I'm more concerned about fuel and VED going up significantly. But like I say, I'm going to wait and see. 

Currently it's only London that has tabled proposals and it's for 2019/2020 sorta time, the crucial thing to remember it's only London who have the infrastructure to implement it.

The system needs ANPR camera's on every road in and out of the city to enforce the fines, this is the major stumbling block for other cities because it's horrendously expensive to install.

It's tens of millions to install and run, the public just won't accept that kind of expenditure, especially when so many cities have woefully poor public transport infrastructure.

Leeds is a fine example, one of the largest cities in the country and your public transport option is the bus, that's it!!

Places like that can't make a case for huge ANPR systems because they've failed to deliver decent public transport for decades.

#10 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

Just started driving a 2007 Cooper S with the JCW pack. Of the 400 miles I've done in it, its averaging about 34 mpg. Which to be honest it could be doing half that and I would be fine because of how much fun it is. Dont know whether that will change after the honeymoon period though...

Oh sorry, to add to the R55 Clubman & R56 JCW we also ran a R56 Cooper S with 192 bhp JCW kit. As above we got 30-33mpg out of that I seem to recall. My wife gets lower mpg figures than me because of her urban commute. They do ok for fuel.

I also ran an R60 Countryman JCW and got 31mpg from that, although push it hard and you'd be 24-29mpg easy.

Edited by humph, 04 May 2017 - 12:32 PM.

#11 Quincy Sparks

Quincy Sparks

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: BHMC, MCR

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

Weve got an r53 cooper s now, and average about 22mpg

Interesting - I'm thinking about a R53 Cooper S as an amusing round-town replacement for the 2003 Merc Diesel Estate dad-wagon that I'm currently using. I can get 50mpg out of the merc on the motorway, but in town it's under 30 most of the time. Where does the R53 come in terms of VED and insurance at the moment? Just trying to get a feel for overall running costs, if anyone cares to share? Sorry for the slight thread hijack - figured it was sorta on topic! :)

#12 PetePinnington

PetePinnington

Formally known as PPinno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

Interesting - I'm thinking about a R53 Cooper S as an amusing round-town replacement for the 2003 Merc Diesel Estate dad-wagon that I'm currently using. I can get 50mpg out of the merc on the motorway, but in town it's under 30 most of the time. Where does the R53 come in terms of VED and insurance at the moment? Just trying to get a feel for overall running costs, if anyone cares to share? Sorry for the slight thread hijack - figured it was sorta on topic! :)

Not sure what VED is but with regard to insurance , my wife and I are on the policy and wheels, full miltek exhaust system, jcw injectors, 15% pulley, Newman cam etc all declared it costs us around £500pa iirc. I'm 25 with 7/8 years no claims.

#13 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

I think the VED is currently £305 because of the supercharger giving higher emissions than later models.

#14 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

As you say sort of on topic in the sense it's an mpg question, but the answer is a whole different story  :D. As stated I'd suggest 22-24mpg out of a supercharged S or JCW, that's certainly what we got out of the ones we ran. While we're at it R50 Cooper we got 30mpg, none of the first gen cars were particularly frugal (except the Yaris powered diesel)

Edited by humph, 05 May 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#15 Quincy Sparks

Quincy Sparks

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: BHMC, MCR

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:59 PM

Thanks all - as I'm er, a bit older than 25, hopefully the insurance wouldn't be too bad, but the VED could be a deal breaker. And the mpg ought to be if I'm honest with myself :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users