12 replies to this topic

#1 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

In 2006/2007, I had a hell of a time due to a bad batch of "genuine" cones that kept collapsing on my Mini.  I ended up with the red spot competition ones, which worked well.

Ten years on, a different Mini, but apparently the same problem.  I got genuine cones (and Hi-Los) fitted back in January but only recently started using the car properly again.  The drivers side was low, so I wound up the Hi-Lo until I could get 4 fingers above the wheel, but it settled back down again - twice.  Now I've ended up with the drivers side Hi-Lo significantly more extended than the passenger side.   I reckon the cone has at least partially collapsed.

Has anyone else experienced recent poor quality genuine cones?  I was looking to make the car feel close to original, hence trying the genuine ones again...

Cheers for any help and advice.

- Rob

#2 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

I have these and no issues.

http://minispares.co...|Back to search

I suspect that quality is variable depending on where you buy your 'genuine' comes however.

#3 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

Yes, quite supplier dependant imo,

Also I think the minispares red dot cones are a good alternative for anything that gets used a lot or is modded.

#4 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:36 PM

I have these and no issues.

http://minispares.co...|Back to search

I suspect that quality is variable depending on where you buy your 'genuine' comes however.

Yes, that's the ones I ordered... wish I'd gone red dot!

#5 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

Interesting. Bought new ones myself too, and the car is already lower than it was on 20 year old cones.. bad batch?

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,990 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:09 AM

Much as I am loathed to say it, I have had the odd new Genuine Rubber Cone that's collapsed in recent times, though it's only been about 1 in 20 that have done this.

Before jumping to this conclusion though, it is not unusual for new cones to settle what may appear an alarming amount, and I wouldn't think it unusual to have to reset Hilos up to 4 or 5 times before the settle.

If you do have a crook cone, I think it would be really bad luck to have 2 and on the same axle and that would collapse at the same rate, or put another way, if both side on the front are going down together, I would say they are just settling, if one side is going down faster than the other, then I'd be suspect.

Just one last thing here. I tend to try and buy my rubber cones at least 6 months before I need them (usually a year) to let them finish curing before fitting as most of the time, when received, I feel they are just 'too new' to be as effective as they should be.

#7 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

Would they cure well on a car too?

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,990 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

Yes, but in their settled shape.

When allowed to stand for a while before fitting, I find their initial settling is less and they last notably longer.

When I do store them before use, I do so in a dark cool place.

#9 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,835 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

Yes, but in their settled shape.

When allowed to stand for a while before fitting, I find their initial settling is less and they last notably longer.

When I do store them before use, I do so in a dark cool place.

Wish I'd known that 6 months ago, I've just got the cones, just need to wait 5 months and 3 weeks now :-)

#10 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:26 PM

I have fitted 3 sets over the last 6 years (to different cars) with only one problem-a welded nut came off. The rubber is fine. I always buy Minispares.

#11 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Much as I am loathed to say it, I have had the odd new Genuine Rubber Cone that's collapsed in recent times, though it's only been about 1 in 20 that have done this.

I think that's whats happened in this case for me.  The drivers side one has sunk a lot, the passenger one hasn't.  The hi-lo settings for them both have ended up dramatically different.  They were bought and fitted in January, after which the car sat for a few months before I started using it again last month at which point the drivers one has been raised 3 or 4 times, the passenger one hasn't needed touched.

Based on this experience, and my awful experience ten years ago (when they were replaced 3 times in 6 months), I'd not buy genuine again and if I need to replace this failed one, I'll be replacing both with the Red Spot ones.

Its so easy to just accept a Mini with collapsed cones - you come to think that its just Minis on the poor quality modern roads, but once you get it right, on good cones, its such a difference.

#12 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

i fit the playmini made rubber cones got fed up with poor quailty, and these dont fall apart at the first bump, have them on my daily with over 30k on them and still no real dropage

dave

#13 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Are you sure that it is the cones, and not the knuckles? Did you replace those, front and rear, and check the arms for damage to the knuckle seats?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users