3 replies to this topic

#1 02twoods

02twoods

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

My 1.3 SPI rover mini sidewalk will start perfectly when cold and not been run for a while. It idles nicely and also runs nice and smooth with no problems.

However after a small bit of running when i turn off the engine, the car will not start again unless left for an hour to allow the engine to cool. It turns over and also fires up for a split second but then wont start. It can be bump started.

I think it could be to do with the engine being fed too much fuel when hot since it needs a lot of fuel to start when cold.

Does anyone know anything about problems such as this? and where to start looking for the problem? Could it be engine management fault? Air filter? vacuum pipe fault?(although i dont think its this after checking)

Any help appreciated! 

#2 hungdynasty

hungdynasty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

I had similar situation as yours, got misfire when starting warm, end up changed the crank sensor and now back to normal.

#3 Frazer stuart

Frazer stuart

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

Really late to the party here, and I'm guessing it's fixed by now, but I fixed the exact same problem on my SPI.

It ran beautifully and always started first time, but wouldn't start when warm.

Fitted a new engine earth and it was sorted. (I know I should have sorted out the existing earth, and this is a bit of a bodge, but it worked fine).

I'm not 100% sure why this fixed it, but if I had to guess I'd say that when the engine earth isn't working well then the electricity gets back to the battery through other cables - accelerator cable etc. They aren't designed to take the load (as they're thinner so have more resistance) so they heat up (plus the engine heat warms them up). As they heat up the resistance increases even more. It takes a lot of power to start the car, but they're okay when cool. Then comparatively less power is needed to run the engine so they're okay when hot too. It's only when you try to start the car when they're hot that you get the problem.

The reasoning is probably completely wrong, and I'd be interested to see some more knowledgeable people's opinions, but the new engine earth fixed the problem :)

#4 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

3 commonest causes for this on SPi (my view) for failing to start when hot - low voltage, Crank sensor, Coil.
Low voltage (duff battery, corroded connections, wiring etc sends the MEMS ecu daft)
Crank sensor (with a missing crank sense MEMS won’t fuel the car continuously)
Coil (these break down when hot and won’t produce HT needed for the plugs)

FS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users