#1 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

I've been offered a 1.6 engine from an MGF, the car is on a 03 plate and has done approx 75k. What's folks thoughts on this age of engine? Also what will be required from the donor car? Recommendations for subframe manufacturer and other required parts please?

#2 jackjewelljj

jackjewelljj

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

good year of engine as it will have the mems3 management, there isn't much you can take from a mgf as it's all the wrong way round unless your going rear engined I would take the whole wiring loom gear box and shafts, then you will need to get a gearlinkage from another mg/rover making sure it has the same gearbox either r65 or pg1 the pg1 gearbox is said to be the stronger of the two and has much more gear choices to play around with then for a subframe if your good with a welder make your own if not look at the allspeed subframe. Hope this helps

#3 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Jack, to be honest I think I'll give it a miss. It sounds like a good plan on the outside but will probably cost far more than first thought. I've gotten in touch with a mate who has a 1275 engine, gearbox and subframe with all front suspension that I can get for £100, so I think I'll spend my pennies on that and go for a long term rebuild. Having a Clubman with a far more powerful and hopefully reliable drivetrain certainly sounds very nice but I simply fear for hidden costs etc. I think I would need to have a drive of a mini that has already been done to decide if it was for me.

#4 matt050990

matt050990

I have upside down nipples

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Currently Ridin' Solo :)

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

A 1275 with gearbox, subframe and suspension!?

That's a bloody good mate doing that for £100

#5 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

It will need a rebuild but yes it's pretty good! Full running gear for a mini is also very rare where I live too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users